The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
72highlander
Sophomore Member

loaned truck to nephew, look out DFW area

my nephew is 18 and down for the holidays. i own carwashes and christmas night he wanted to wash his car. i met him and helped him out and left before him. about an hour later i got a knock on the door and my sister was there and said he had wrecked his car. he limped it to my parents house, but it's in bad shape plus liability insurance only. he's a good kid that works 40 hours a week plus does well in school as a senior in high school. everyone seems to be pissed and it was strictly an accident. he and my other nephew were unhurt. he needed something to drive to get back and forth to school and work while we figure out what we are going to do so i loaned him the 72. his dad said i was just bailing him out, but i think they are missing the big picture. he needs to be able to keep doing what he needs to focus on and not worry about this tragedy. bottom line is that i love my truck and would be upset if something happened, but i love my nephew WAY more. the truck does have full coverage though. . he lives in kellar so keep an eye out for him.

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: loaned truck to nephew, look out DFW area

You`re a good uncle,Frank.I`m sure he appreciates it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
72highlander
Sophomore Member

thanks tim. he is a very good kid and he does really appreciate it, he's told me a thousand times. he calls me every time he gets a honk or a thumbs up. i wouldn't help him so much if he wasn't so responsible. it's funny, you could be in a 100k mercedes and not get noticed, but be in a $7500 original paint truck on bags and everyone breaks their neck looking.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

That is nice of you. Family is way more important than these truck even if not spoken. I know I would hate to see my truck wrecked but I would hate it more if I neglected my family even more. If he is as you say you shouldn't have anything to worry about!
Just make sure he washes it before he brings it back.
18 years old and working 40hrs a week and doing good in school is worth it!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
72highlander
Sophomore Member

he will keep it spotless, like i said, he went 200 yards from my carwash when he wrecked it. he was there taking care of his car. he had less than great tires and they were wet. he he a dip in a terrible road and it bounced the rear end around and he hit a tree. as said, most important thing is he was not hurt. if i had known his tires were that bad i would've figured out how to get him new ones. when it comes down to it, these are just trucks, that's it. some may disagree, but he's like a son to me, and i treat him as i do my own son. i'm stern on him very much so, but i'll be the first to help and stick up for him.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
mvfd70

I agree. Sounds like he's one of the few kids that still works for what they have. I hate to see parents just give their kids what they want. Especially cars. I had to work my butt off and save money to buy my first vehicle, which just happened to be a 68 LWB chevy. I bought that truck when I was 15 and every penny I spent on it was my own. My parents helped some with insurance but gas, repairs, traffic code violations, etc was all up to me. Sounds like he's one of those kids that works hard and appreciates what he has worked for. It's tough being that young and wrecking a car. Most of the time when you buy a car of your own at 15, 16, or so you spend almost everything you have saved up. And when that car gets totaled, unless you have full insurance, it's hard to replace it. I dont think you are bailing him out. Just being a good uncle.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72highlander View Post
he will keep it spotless, like i said, he went 200 yards from my carwash when he wrecked it. he was there taking care of his car. he had less than great tires and they were wet. he he a dip in a terrible road and it bounced the rear end around and he hit a tree. as said, most important thing is he was not hurt. if i had known his tires were that bad i would've figured out how to get him new ones. when it comes down to it, these are just trucks, that's it. some may disagree, but he's like a son to me, and i treat him as i do my own son. i'm stern on him very much so, but i'll be the first to help and stick up for him.
Most people would look the other way and let the parents deal with it. He is very lucky to have such a wonderful Uncle as yourself. I truly respect what you have done for him.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
AuggieStyle

that was cool of you, you are probably his favorite uncle. i did the same thing with my nephew a few years ago, i loaned him my 66swb and he took really good care of it. one of his coworkers ended up giving me way more than it was worth but it was enough to buy him a honda and me another starter truck......
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
corn

Im sure good karma will come your way, I hope so anyway. Id like to pat you on the back for doing something that Im not sure I could do.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
72highlander
Sophomore Member

my sister is not able to help him financially, and his dad is kind of a d#$head, so to speak. his dad just wants to hang him out and make him figure it out on his own, but crap, he's 18 and has a full plate, what more can you expect from a kiddo. i told him i'd help him out and wanted him to keep focusing on what's important right now. he's got a heck of a mechanical mind and has worked on everything that he's had himself. rebuilt two motors, pulled trannies and rearends, he works hard and i don't care if it hairlips the pope, i'm gonna help him all i can. the truck is actually my sons, he is 4. i asked him if he wanted to help Tyler by loaning him his truck and he said "we can just give it to him, and you can buy me a new one" i was proud.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
AuggieStyle

you said he had a good mechanical mind, is he gonna use it after high school? is he going to college or trade school? a lot of good programs in the north texas area.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
70cst

Quote:
it was strictly an accident...he and my other nephew were unhurt.

The key words 72highlander is an accident and no one got hurt. If they were horsing around and someone got hurt...that would be a differrent story. Family is much more important than sheet metal and bolts. Under similiar circumstances I hope I would do the same thing.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
72highlander
Sophomore Member

auggiestyle, yes, he is wanting to go to some kind of tech or 2 year trade school. i've been helping him look into, but he is not positive which field he wants to pursue. right now he is a fry cook at long john silver's. i have all the respect in the world, cause i would hate to do that, but he is willing to do what it takes.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #14
boogie67

Man I don't know you but I use to have an uncle like you.I think your cool!!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
72highlander
Sophomore Member

guess i'm kinda the cool uncle that's still a big kid, that's why we mesh so well. i'm getting a kick out of seeing how excited he is about having it, reminds me of myself at his age. funny how time changes your priorities. i didn't get a thing for christmas, because i used everything i had and told everyone else to do the same for my son to have a great christmas, and it's still not about the money or what you get, it's about all the thoughts, and there was no greater present than to get to see a smile on his face.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #16
70cst

72highlander...I was in my late twenties before I got settled into an occupation in sales. Then in my late forties I entered a second occupation. I graduated from ITT in my mid twenties then later took about a years worth of college classes one class at a time. Keep pointing him in the right direction and I'm confident he will do well. It just takes time.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 01-01-2008 at 10:12 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #17
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Sounds like you're being the father figure the kid needs. I'm sure he looks up to you.
My hat's off for your generous spirit.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #18
71Chevy4-speed
Speed Limit = Floorboard

Quote:
so i loaned him the 72.
Will you be my uncle?? thats really neat you letting him borrow it, maybe it will spike some interest.
71Chevy4-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #19
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My uncle used to loan me his trucks, if I needed it and asked him. The first one he loaned to me was a '56 big window Chevy Short Step, with a 283 (that replaced the 265), a hydramatic from a '53 Hudson (to replace the hydramatic that came in it new) and a '56 Olds rear end. He was a mechanic....I didn't damage anything on it. He enjoyed building stuff. The second truck was a '62 SWB Fleetside that had a 283/Powerglide. Both were work trucks for him. I appreciated using them. I'm sure your nephew does, too.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Wish I would have an uncle like you... wishing good luck to your truck that it will be returned without a scratch.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #21
72highlander
Sophomore Member

good thing is that it has original paint and looks great going down the road, but it has lots of scratches and chips so a few more won't even be noticed, but i'm confident it will come back better than i gave it to him. i know he's already cleaned it and polished the wheels, which i hate doing, and talked about some other things, so i can rest easy it's in good hands. accidents happen, that's why they call them accidents.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #22
AuggieStyle

highlander i am a lab intructor for eastfield college in the autobody program, we also have a mechanical program sponsored by toyota. we have a great autobody program. if he ever wants to stop by and take a tour and get info on the classes let me know i will PM you all my info to get in touch. frank milsap owner of the sachse rod shop is also won of the instructors there the guy who owns service king took the eastfield program we have hundreds of students employed at dealerships both mechanical and collision.
in the next year we will be building a new 20,000 sq ft building for our new streetrod and frame courses. just a thought. i will load some pics later.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #23
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

You are a very special uncle, one everyone should have.
I applaud you for your actions.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #24
heavy71chevy

I have an uncle like you..when i was in high school and wrecked my first c10 due to bad weather he didnt bat an eye and threw me the keys to his 69 gto ram air three...loaned me that car for three years and then handed me the papers when i graduated from school...your a darn good uncle and it shows..and im sure hes loving that ole pickup lol
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #25
72highlander
Sophomore Member

thanks for the comments guys, re-affirms that i made a good decision, maybe he'll bring it back to me with the 20/18 combo i've been wanting!! i won't hold my breath.