The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
69-Chevy-350

Further HEI discussion

I beg your forgiveness in advance but I have restored other vehicles, mostly Late 70's and ealry 80's BMWs. I need a little education about Hei. What it is and such. What parts I should put in and some general help. My digital cam is having technical problems so i can not show you my engine bay but I can describe what I am running into. The truck is a 69. The title says it and the data plate on the door jam says it. But the stock air filter and spark plugs for the 350 V-8 do not fit and I have had to use different size parts for that. The cap and rotor fit fine. However I am not sure if that was luck or what. I have the coil that seems to be for points with the middle piece being for the plug wires and the two side terminals for the different wires. What would you all recommend to do as an upgrade. I am not made of money so something not to expensive. I just want some better performance and increased mileage possibly.
Secondly, there is oil leaking from what apperas to be the oxygen sensor but i don't think it is or that these trucks even have them. It is plugged into the transmission (near the middle) and there is where it leaks. any ideas? Thanks guys for your assitance and help. I want to get this beast healthy.

Steve
69 Chevy 350 fleetside
81 BMW 528i
69-Chevy-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

you know i have tried the hi profomance hei units and have had trouble with them. unless you are racing or have a super hopped motor id just get a OEM type hei, they can be bought new almost anyplace for under 100 bucks. just install that pupy and widen the gap on your plugs, youll notice a major differance.

not sure about your oil leak. the only things i know that run to the trany is the vacume line for the kick down, and the cooling lines. ????? there is a place back by the distributor for your oil presure gauge. that leaks sometimes, but it doesnt run to your trany.. so ??????????
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
speesh

could that be the speedometer cable? I think it has an "0" ring on it ... just a guess
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:01 PM   #4
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

HEI.....High Energy Ignition....Reliable ignition and herds of volts, like 120,000. Easiest upgrade to do to these trucks, the dizzy will drop right in. As far as the air cleaner, there is a good chance you stock air cleaner won't fit with the HEI in place if it's a 4bbl because the distributor cap is so large. Later models with stock HEI have a dent in the back of the air cleaner to clear the dizzy. 14" chrome air cleaner works fine. the plug on your tranny that is leaking is probably the plug for the kickdown if it's a TH-400. Hope that helps

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:20 PM   #5
70 longbed

Does the size of the HEI fit without moving the engine forward? My friend had to move the motor forward on his 65 because the distributor was right against the firewall. Is there any room on ours? I will putting the HEI in later this week, along with the rebuilt engine.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

Ive got a small block in mine that is set back in the big block position which is a few inches farther back than usual and it still fits with room to spare.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
69-Chevy-350

What is the function of the plug for the kickdown and what is a TH-400? If it helps my speedo does not work. The thing that plugs in is a cable that goes in to just about the middle of the tranny and it is held in there with a circular like cap. The cap has a ridges on on it as well... Does this help anyone jog their memory as to what it might be. I hate to pull it out and there be tons of oil coming out. One other thing the oil on the garge floor was not black it looked almost like fresh from the bottle color. It isn't cherry fluid either. I just can't figure it out.
As far as the HEI goes, the air filter is maybe 10 inches so I think I would be alright. Does anybody have a pic of the setup with HEI so that I could compare. As I am understanding it, HeI is basically a better system, more modern. Do I replace the coil as well or would that still be fine. Thanks guys, I only hope one day I can return the big favor you all do for me.

Steve
69-Chevy-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:21 PM   #8
neonlarry

Yea, the HEI is a lot better. I don't have a picture of it right now, but the coil for the HEI is in the cap, and that is what makes it bigger so some air cleaners won't fit.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 12:17 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

This is the old style points set up...notice the coil. It sounds like this is what you have.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 12:21 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

wow..I thought i'd have an HEI pic to post...but I don't. Can some one else post there HEI pic for ID reasons?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:22 AM   #11
Alexis
Member since 2000

the cap is lose cause i had to steal them for another HEI, hehehe.......really just a reason to add some MSD parts
Attached Images

Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote