The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
jkade

Running shock waves on the rear??

I anyone doing it? Why not if so? What would be the best way to mount them if you have a step notch to get your lift ratio right?
Thanks In Advance
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: Running shock waves on the rear??

I prefer to run Shockwaves (9000 series) or sleeved style bags on the rear. How much lift are you wanting to get?

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 11-29-2007 at 02:59 PM.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I prefer to run Shockwaves (9000 series) or sleeved style bags on the rear. How much lift are you wanting to get?
I guess it all depends where it is mounted right? My goal is the get the frame to lay or about a inch off the ground with a 28" or 29" tall rear tire. If I mounted them to the axle it will be a 1:1 lift ratio right? If they were mounted to the trailing arm in front of the axle somewhere the lift ratio would improve right? I like the idea of a this type setup since you get the bag and shock in one unit and it will clear up a little room out back. Thanks in advance Porter.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Tony@AirRideTech

You are right, if you mount them on the trailing arm in front of the axle, you ratio will increase. If you do that you will need to change to the 1000 or 2000 seires Shockwaves. If you run the at a 1:1 on the axle, stick with the 9000's
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Kontrol Phreaks

The shockwaves feature a Chris Alston's Chassisworks 16 position adjustable shock was well. Nice to tuning your ride.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Tony@AirRideTech

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
jkade

Too late, went with firestone bags. I will run shockwaves on the front though.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Bagged Nissan
the fab shack

Shockwaves are a really nice setup if that is the stance you want. If you plan to lay out then shockwaves are not for you as they dont get a lot of stroke. You can use a Slam RE7 bag up front along with a good shock and have an incredable ride for less then half the price.

If you end up not liking your choice for the stone bags in the rear, def try a pair of slams. you wont be disappointed, better ride, more lift and a lot longer life span. Stones usually look like they are falling apart in a yr or 2.
Bagged Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagged Nissan View Post
Shockwaves are a really nice setup if that is the stance you want. If you plan to lay out then shockwaves are not for you as they dont get a lot of stroke. You can use a Slam RE7 bag up front along with a good shock and have an incredable ride for less then half the price.

If you end up not liking your choice for the stone bags in the rear, def try a pair of slams. you wont be disappointed, better ride, more lift and a lot longer life span. Stones usually look like they are falling apart in a yr or 2.
I am running c4 suspension on the front so I don't have many choices on the front. I am running the stones on the back since I am doing to over axle setup.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Bagged Nissan
the fab shack

did you go with a 224 (2600#) bag or a f9000 sleeve? The sleeve will ride 10 times better and gets more lift then a 2600, in an over the axle setup. The downside is, you need a shock or a limit strap as there is no internal stops.. but the ride quality is worth the extra setup.

as for the front, you can still use a regular bag, with some work of course.. but it depends what route you're taking as to what your best options is.. if youre going for that rod rake and look then a shockwave will do what you need.. make sure you use the 9000 as you dont want a sleeve bag up front, they dont hold much weight.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
jkade

Quote:
did you go with a 224 (2600#) bag or a f9000 sleeve? The sleeve will ride 10 times better and gets more lift then a 2600, in an over the axle setup. The downside is, you need a shock or a limit strap as there is no internal stops.. but the ride quality is worth the extra setup.

as for the front, you can still use a regular bag, with some work of course.. but it depends what route you're taking as to what your best options is.. if youre going for that rod rake and look then a shockwave will do what you need.. make sure you use the 9000 as you dont want a sleeve bag up front, they dont hold much weight.
I went with the 9000's on the rear, I was planning on some type off limit strap just don't know what yet. As for the front I have a 5" ride height and it should lay with a shockwave with the correct placement of the mounts. I am not going to do the rod look, I am going for a 5" all around ride height. Thanks for the suggestions as I am usually always open for them
Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
I went with the 9000's on the rear, I was planning on some type off limit strap just don't know what yet. As for the front I have a 5" ride height and it should lay with a shockwave with the correct placement of the mounts. I am not going to do the rod look, I am going for a 5" all around ride height. Thanks for the suggestions as I am usually always open for them
If you spend a little bit of time, you can select a shock for the rear that can be set-up to limit the F9000's travel. It is very important to limit the F9000 as mentioned, or the bag will tear.

I am a huge fan of running a tapered sleeve out-back...great ride quality and plenty of travel!

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 01-04-2008 at 04:23 PM.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
If you spend a little bit of time, you can select a shock for the rear that can be set-up to limit the F9000's travel. It is very important to limit the F9000 as mentioned, or the bag will tear.

I am a huge fan of running a tapered sleeve out-back...great ride quality and plenty of travel!
Since I have to build mounts for the shocks anyways that should be a little easier to figure out. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Bagged Nissan
the fab shack

Quote:
The bad side about using the shockwave in your application is with the shockwave only getting 5-6" of stroke, you'll be maxed out at ride height and even though they ride good in the middle of their range, your ride height and the shockwaves stroke, you'll have a rough ride, just like riding in any bagged truck at full lock.. it wont be good.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
Bagged Nissan
the fab shack

Quote:
Since I have to build mounts for the shocks anyways that should be a little easier to figure out. Thanks for the heads up.
Yes that is the great part about putting the rear shocks how you want. Just make sure you get a good shock that at your ride height, is in the middle of its as close to the middle of its stroke as possible, but still maxes out before your f9000 which shouldnt be hard as they have an 11.3" stroke (i usually just go by 11").

Have fun with it all though man!
Old 01-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #16
jkade

Quote:
Yes that is the great part about putting the rear shocks how you want. Just make sure you get a good shock that at your ride height, is in the middle of its as close to the middle of its stroke as possible, but still maxes out before your f9000 which shouldnt be hard as they have an 11.3" stroke (i usually just go by 11").

Have fun with it all though man!
Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
The bad side about using the shockwave in your application is with the shockwave only getting 5-6" of stroke, you'll be maxed out at ride height and even though they ride good in the middle of their range, your ride height and the shockwaves stroke, you'll have a rough ride, just like riding in any bagged truck at full lock.. it wont be good.
On the C4 components, it's possible to get 7.5" to 8" of travel out at the spindle when using a Shockwave (SKW1030). We are getting between 7" and 8" on our C4 Dropmember... nice ride as well, just won't quite lay out... 1" away!

If I recall correctly the factory C4 geometry will bind at around 8" of travel... maybe it was a little less??? It's been a while!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson