The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Imperial Kustom
100% gearhead

Late model engine swap ?'s

Hey guys! I have been wanting to do a late model (gen III & 4L60E) engine swap into my truck for some time now. I also recently aquired a '64 Cad 2 dr hardtop and would also like late model, fuel injected power for that as well. I know I can tackle all of the work except the wiring. I am a moron when it comes to these much more technologically advanced, non-carbureted, motor thingymajiggs. So, with that said, to all who have swapped in late model powertrains, what have you guys done to adapt the wiring harnesses to work with the earlier model vehicles? Please point me into the light!
Imperial Kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

Re: Late model engine swap ?'s

I cant help much I just put a 5.3 in my 64 But I ripped off the EFI and threw on an edlebrock intake and demon carb
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
ElkyRacer

Hey Imperial, Im about to do almost the same thing, Im putting a 03 model 5.3 with a 200R4 in my 64. If you check out LS1tech.com in their Hybrids/Swaps section you will learn just about everything you need to know!

BTW, a newer NorthStar in that old Caddy would be SICK!
ElkyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Imperial Kustom
100% gearhead

Holy bejeezus elky!!!! The northstar idea was on the list!!! My buddy and me were talkin about that right after I bought the car! Thanks also for the link, I hope it's as helpful as you say!
Imperial Kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Lane

I'll be doing a 5.3/4L60E swap in the next few months on my '65. I'll be posting pics.

www.ls1truck.com will have some good info - as will the Conversion board on LS1tech.com

I've done LSX conversions on a Fox Mustang and Chevy II - you can see some pics in my sig. It's the way to go!

Speartech can help you with the harness and electrical needs. Painless can too.

Last edited by Lane; 12-31-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Fastrucken

did 5.3 4l60e swap in mine with mega squirt running the efi.... I also did a tr220 -112 cam swap and this thing screams!!! i'm done with the gen I stuff....
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrucken View Post
did 5.3 4l60e swap in mine with mega squirt running the efi.... I also did a tr220 -112 cam swap and this thing screams!!! i'm done with the gen I stuff....
Nice! I've been thinking turbo for mine - with the mega squirt system. Do you like it?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
ElkyRacer

Fasttruckin, didnt I just buy your under dash AC a while back? You have really made some progress! What headers are those? Did you just use some adaptor mounts like most LS-swappers use? Looks good, hope to start on mine soon!

kyle
Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Fastrucken

Lane, I'm torn on the mega squirt.. I’m a die hard MegaSquit junkie. This is the 4th engine I have squirted, so I'm no novice with MS. I had a MS1/extra code running the engine but had issues with timing especially in the upper rpm. I also tried a MS2/extra code but also had an issue with ignition as well. It would loose the crank trigger wheel mostly in the upper rpm range. I'm unfortunately at a very busy point in life that I don't have alot of time to spend on my truck. To solve the rpm issue i bought the MSD 6010 ls1 box and that now runs the ignition and feeds an rpm signal to the mega squirt and the truck runs like a raped date. To be fair though there is at least 2 other genIII/ls1 engines running MS with out issues.
I also spent money on the tci trans controller to control the trans (which is unimpressive for the money)
So my breakdown is like this:
TCI trans controller- 500$
MSD ignition controller- 320$

This is already more then what could be spent on hp tuners or ls1edit setup and doesn't include the cost of the mega squirt it self.

The MS GPIO board will be out soon which with control the trans and will be a lot cheaper then the tci controller so that will help.

ElkyRacer, Did you ever get that a/c unit installed??? As far as the mounts I used the plate adapters that allow the use of regular SCB mounts. Mine were from transdapt. The headers are the coated pacesetters for the ls1 camaro. This is the best option for us right now that I found. The d/s collector has to be trimmed but otherwise fit great.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Lane

Thanks for the info Fastrucken!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
ElkyRacer

Fasttrucken, I never got to installing that AC unit before the stock 3 on the tree blew. Now Im going to go ahead and slap the 03 model 5.3 in the truck. Ive got a built 200R4, but I want to keep the wiring simple and run the stock drive-by-wire TB, so Im looking to sell the 200 and find a 4L60E or a 4L80E. I know the 80 will require some reprograming and changing up some wiring, but it would be worth it!

Just how low do those F-Body longtubes hang? And where do you have to trim the DS collector? Im going to probably do a 3in Z, so that will end up raising the headers up in the frame, just wondering where they are going to hit.

Kyle
Old 01-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
Fastrucken

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...setters&page=2

Its a 68 but, the headers fit our trucks just the same, he just had better pics

Graham