The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

454 M/H engine donor dilemma!!

OK, here’s the skinny…
I’ve inherited a 1984 Pace Arrow 34’ M/H. It has a cruise/tilt column w/ key on dash, 454 (presumably ‘built with the good stuff’, considering the weight of the vehicle), probably a turbo 400, a 6000 watt generator w/ 300 hours on it. Engine runs very well…but no testing has been done yet.
It has 46,000 miles.

I figure the motor home is probably worth $3500-$5000, if that...she has some interior cosmetic problems plus plumbing and electrical hoodoos.

It has crossed my mind to pull the goodies for my SWB project truck and give the carcass to the nearest M/H recycler or to someone who needs a vacation pad for their summer property. I have already had interest in the hulk.

Is this worth the effort? Just what on the beast will shoehorn into my half ton pickup? Can I use the column? I have a passenger van column to replace it with…if will it fit? Can I use part of the driveline to craft one for my project and does it couple to the tranny in an odd ball way (or would that even matter...my truck is a bare frame at this time)? What suspension or other mods do I have to consider in going with the BBC?

I’ve got to make up my mind real soon…it’s simply too big to park. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input cuz I don't know squat about BBC's or Motor Homes! Thanks...E
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
clay68c10

Re: 454 M/H engine donor dilemma!!

It should be pretty much the same as truck stuff once you get it out. You may also get an overdrive, a lot of those rigs came with gear vendors units behind the th400.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
My72BB

Re: 454 M/H engine donor dilemma!!

The 80's Motor Home engines were the same everything as the 3/4 and 1 ton engines. The way they got the power to the ground was through larger dual exhaust and way low gears. Probably at least 4:10 and 4:56 or 4:88 where not out of the question.

So...in answer to the specs on the motor...If it is running good thats great. If you just want a driver this would be a good canidate but the motor is not as favorable stock as say a early 70's motor would be. The other thing to consider on the motor if you just want to swap it into your truck is it is 24 year old motor which even if it was in great shape would probably need some freshing up on the gaskets/seals etc. I always considered counting the miles on a Motorhome engine kind of like dog years...That motor in a 34' non overdrive rig was to say the least...working its ass off!

If you can get your money back on the carcass...this might not be a bad deal. The only other issue is have you looked at the location of the motor? It is a REAL PIA to get the motor in and out of those things.

Just my $0.02

Good luck on whatever you do...It sounds pretty cool either way you go...
My72BB is offline   Reply With Quote