The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
BIG CTY
Between the earth and the sky

Looking for some help, since I'm obviously an idiot

In case you want to read about my lack of mental acumen...

So I've decided (I think) to go with 2" drop coil springs all the way around on my 66 SWB. Pics are in the link above. I went out and measured and I think 2" is what I'm looking for. NOW my question is this....I'm ASSuming that a 2" drop is NEVER really 2", I'm thinking it's between 2-2.5, maybe even up to 3". I lowered a Honda Accord a LONG time ago and I recall the drop being (IMO) significantly more than what I was expecting, and what the springs suggested. Somehow I doubt that a 2" drop coil would drop my truck LESS than two inches. Is my thinking flawed?

I'd hate to get 3" drop springs and feel like it's TOO low for my tastes. I do NOT want my truck lowered more than 3" ~2.5 is exactly what I'm after. Whaddya think?
1976 Dodge Tradesman B200
2002 Nissan Maxima 6 speed
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500

Last edited by BIG CTY; 01-07-2008 at 12:17 PM.
BIG CTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Bagged Nissan
the fab shack

Re: Looking for some help, since I'm obviously an idiot

Your truck prob will not be 2" at first.. give it 2-5k miles to wear the springs in and settle and it will go down some. If you get good springs, it will settle around your 2" drop area. If you get cheap drop stuff (like you might of gotten for the honda), they start at the desired drop and since the springs arent that great, they settle even more then a good spring.
Bagged Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
BIG CTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagged Nissan View Post
Your truck prob will not be 2" at first.. give it 2-5k miles to wear the springs in and settle and it will go down some. If you get good springs, it will settle around your 2" drop area. If you get cheap drop stuff (like you might of gotten for the honda), they start at the desired drop and since the springs arent that great, they settle even more then a good spring.
I had Eibach springs on the Honda. I think they were called "Pro" or "Sportline." They certainly werent cheap back then, not sure about now. So what you are saying is if I get 2" springs, when I put them on the truck it will NOT appear to be dropped by 2", but will settle out to look like a 2" drop after 2-5k miles? If that's the case maybe I should get 3". It'll take me forever to drive 2-5k miles. My plan is to purchase springs from this CPP place.
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500
Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
68K20 x Drill

Get 2" spindles and it will be exact forever.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
BIG CTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68K20 x Drill View Post
Get 2" spindles and it will be exact forever.

Now if I do that dont I need to either have disc brakes or convert to 5 lug? I have also only seen drop spindles for the front, are they made for the rear as well? I want the most economical drop possible, and from what I've read and researched, drop spindles aint it.
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500

Last edited by BIG CTY; 01-07-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Bagged Nissan
the fab shack

not sure what you'll have to do to put spindles on your style of truck... Spindles are nice and I usually do them first b/c they are there when you bag it (if you bag it), but economically springs are your choice.

The rear of your truck is a straight axle, there is no spindle in the rear, you will have to use springs.
Bagged Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
BIG CTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagged Nissan View Post
not sure what you'll have to do to put spindles on your style of truck... Spindles are nice and I usually do them first b/c they are there when you bag it (if you bag it), but economically springs are your choice.

The rear of your truck is a straight axle, there is no spindle in the rear, you will have to use springs.
Thanks, springs it is (again). I'm never going to bag my truck so I don't need to worry about spindles for that. I guess the answer to my original question is officially "I'll have to wait and find out," but I think I'm going to go with my ASSumption about the coils - that is a 2" drop will probably be > 2 vs. < 2.
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500
Old 01-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Shane
Account Suspended

Go to Early Classic's page and look at some of their customers kits.

NOT cheap, but quality never is. Best stuff on the market, bar none. Don't be a cheap skate when it comes to your suspension, you'll be sorry if you do later.

2" is a very very small amount to lower one of these LARGE trucks. 2" on a Honda looks like a lot more drop than it does on one of these trucks.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
PBFAB.COM

The word "economical" is interpreted differently by each individul... what's your budget? Let us know, and then we can help you find the best solution that falls within your price range.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 01-07-2008 at 04:08 PM.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
cdowns

keep in mind the springs you are replacing have near 40years of wear on them now and most likely especially fronts are already droped from stock so a 2" drop spring may only lower the truck an additional inch
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
keep in mind the springs you are replacing have near 40years of wear on them now and most likely especially fronts are already droped from stock so a 2" drop spring may only lower the truck an additional inch
Exactly.... 2" drop springs may not equal 2" of drop from the current ride height because each truck has been used differently & thus can have varying amounts of spring sag. If 2" is all you want, yank the stock coils & trim 1-coil off. The ride won't be significantly affected & it will drop the truck 2~2.5" from the current ride height.

Spindles are best but add to the cost/complexity because you must switch to discs.

The other option is dropped or stepped lower a-arms. They ususally are 2" drop & that would be from the current ride height. The only place I know that does modified stockers is Charlies Drop Shop (?) which I believe is somewhere on the NW side of map.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-07-2008 at 08:21 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
BIG CTY

The cutting springs version was considered, and I'm not totally throwing that idea out the window. I dont want to spend more than $300 to do this. I dont want it "slammed," I just want it a little lower than it is now. After I put my wheels on it feels like the truck is a 4x4. The PO put all new suspension stuff on before I bought it, so springs and shocks are all relatively new.
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500

Last edited by BIG CTY; 01-08-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
Take what Cliff is saying very seriously.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
chevy one
Chevy One

Big CTY, I agree with the head hurt issue. I have been debating this issue for the last couple of months. I also just wanted to drop 2" as well, not looking for in the weeds, just a better stance as well still be able to use truck as a truck. I did go with a set of 2" drop springs from McCarthy’s for the front of my 67. When it came to the rear I ordered a set of variable rate springs, when I looked at the specs for installed height, the variable rate spring was 1 3/4" lower than the stock spring. The variable carries a heavier load without sacrificing the ride. If you look at the rock auto parts site and view the specs you can compare this. I am just now on tear down process so I cant tell you just how much drop I have obtain yet. The cost of the two spring sets is around $200 at this point. I am rebuilding the whole front end, U/L ball joints, I/O tie rods, and converting to disk as well. Hope some of this info helps out.
03 Monte Carlo
I'M NOT OLD, JUST A CLASSIC!!!
chevy one is offline   Reply With Quote