The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2003, 07:07 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Smile Ram Air Box duct

The duct that came with my Ram Air box was the semi-flexible, stiff aluminum stuff. With the normal engine movement, the duct kept breaking at the ends, close to the snorkel and box outlets. I have been cutting it off every so often and clamping it back.

Well, today, I bought some aluminum laminate flexible ducting that I hope will solve this problem. For 25 feet, it was $15.00. Heck, I only used two 3 foot pieces.

Anyway, this stuff will flex with the engine and I hope stop this crap. Only time will tell if it's the fix I was looking for. Just thought I would let everyone know, who is thinking about buying a Ram Air box.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:04 PM   #2
Cole's 87

It looks pretty cool. Almost like the dryer duck you get a Home Depot. Did you notice a diffrence in your performance when you put the ram air kit on your truck. I'e got the open element K&N but during last summer after idleing awhile in traffic the truck was slugish. After a few moments of going down the road she would cool back off and everything was ok agian.
Cole's 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:11 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Cole,

I've been asked this question a bunch of times. To tell you the truth, I don't know. I did so many things at once, it would be impossible to say. I like the looks of it for sure. I like the idea of it getting only fresh air. This would have to help in the summer, wouldn't it? One thing you will need to do, it richen up the carb some after installing it. It gets more air, which is cooler, hence more dense. So, if the carb is left as is, it will be running a little lean.

So, this tells me, it will make more power over a open element air cleaner. More fuel, equals more power.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 01-13-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Mike is the aluminum style dryer duct (not the kind you have now) the same stuff that they sent you with the box? I know we used to sell it that was flexible as well as bendable. Not real stiff. It looked like the stuff you did have and I bet it would flex more. One thing is for sure- you find more and more ways to add chrome and make it look good

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:08 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Brandon,

you are right. The old stuff is the stiff aluminum, which is flexible. You can bend it into whatever shape you like. But, it has a bad habit of breaking at the ends, when my engine torques up and just shaking in general at idle. It would probably be just fine in a stock engine.

I really like the way it looks with the new stuff. Real shiney and purdy I think.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 01-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

reminds me of the robot from lost in space
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:01 AM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Only thing better than dual is QUAD!!!
Thanks for the tip Mike.