The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Running Boards/Pipe Steps

Wow, it seems like forever since I've been around. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year.

I'm just putting out some feelers regarding what guys are using for running boards or pipe step rails these days. I have a regular cab truck and have been toying with the idea of putting on some pipes (I'm not a huge fan of the stock running boards). My wife mentions it almost every time she has to get "up" into the truck.

Does anyone have any ideas for an "affordable" option (and don't bother suggesting I lower the truck... )?

Thanks all.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
bowtier
Nobody rides free

Re: Running Boards/Pipe Steps

These are similar to the ones I got. But mine are black.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I'd recommend the aluminum over painted, or powdercoated. They take a lot of abuse and my paint came off within the first 6 mo. They're sturdy though, I go about 300# and give them a good workout everytime I get in. Haven't sagged yet. Been on about 2 yrs. Can't see them too good, but I'll post a pic anyway.

'01 Blazer - daily driver

"It's better to burn out than it is to rust."
-Neil Young
bowtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks for the quick response and the photo Man. I was kinda thinking of going with just a simple step like that - and the price is right as well. I was leaning towards black powder coated, but you make a valid point about the aluminum.

Did they bolt up pretty easy to the existing frame or did you need to install additional steel?

BTW - Nice truck, looks like fun.

Last edited by Zilverado; 01-09-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
bowtier
Nobody rides free

If I remember right....they bolt up pretty easy, I think I had less than an hour on the install. I don't think they even come with a bracket to go back to the frame (could be wrong, I'll check tonight). The step just fits snug into the back of the rocker panel which gets drilled to accept the bolts that come with it.

It was easy & cheap. Plus they've held up to some abuse. I'll try to remember to get a pic or two of the underside tonight.

Quote:
BTW - Nice truck, looks like fun.
Thank you, and, it is.
'01 Blazer - daily driver

"It's better to burn out than it is to rust."
-Neil Young
bowtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Pyrotechnic

I would do step bars on the sides mounted to frame. They would protect the body if you plan to go off road.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I would do step bars on the sides mounted to frame. They would protect the body if you plan to go off road.
Yeah, the bars are nice if I could find something cheap enough. Being a 2wd, off-road is not really in the picture. The step is more to help the wife get into the cab. The truck has the heavy-half suspension with 31" tires, so she's a little higher than stock, and my wife is 5'-2"...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Those came on the truck and have stood up to some amazing abuse. I've got much the same problem as you, except your wife is 2" taller than mine. Anything taller than her Neon REQUIRES running boards for her. I screwed down some rubber non-slip treads onto them as we get a lot of snow and ice around here, and it all seems to settle on the running boards.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Roper

If your wife is as heavy as mine, just bolting to the fender/cab corner isnt enough. The fuel tanks are in your way but you can fab a bracket so you can also have a support bracket that bolts right to your frame.
On my one truck two supports come down from the frame and then bolt on to a cross support that goes to both running boards where you put your foot/weight on them.
BTW Running boards are great protection for the body of your truck.
On my one truck I actually wore them out because im on gravel roads all the time. The rocks flying off my front tires actually wore holes through the alunimun. Then I lifted my truck and had to take what was left of my running boards off for tire clearence. Flying rocks soon ruined my paint.
The plan now when I have the money is to get the truck painted, cut out the fenders and recess a new pair of running boards.
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Afternoon guys: I'm not a big fan of any of the aftermarket running boards. They all seem to chinsy for me and they attach to the sheetmetal for the most part only adding to rust problems. I am just finishing a complete restoration and I'll be danmed if I'm going to punch any holes into the rockers or front fenders. I've come up with what I think is a good way to go. Kind of a pain in the ass, but a good & strong solution. I am going to build a rectangular frame that runs from just under the back of the front fender to the rear mount for the fuel tanks. Seeing as the fuel tank mounts are new, slipping a flat piece of 1/4" steel in there to hang the rear of the frame won't be a problem & the front is wide open and I can probably find existing holes to use to hang the front. The frame will be low enough to put a "belly" pan on to protect the fuel tanks and offer a mounting place for mud flaps. Treads I'll make from 1/4" aluminum diamond plate bent up where they near the cab so they reach up behind the rocker\floor flange and bent down on the outboard side. I was going to use pipe for the frame so I could run the exhaust through the pipe and into chrome stacks with no mufflers, but thought better of that!! To much work if I have to get under there to do something, not to mention building it and haveing to put up with the cops on top of all that. I'll weld the framework togther and then bolt it to the "drops" bolted to the frame. That way I can take out 4 bolts and the whole thing is down on the floor and out of the way. I'll finish the framework, "belly" pan and the underside of the tread with bedliner material and polish the rest of the step and wax the crap out of it so it stays nice and shiney. I'm open to any other suggestions you guys might have. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Wow, that sounds like a pretty heavy solution. I too am thinking that what I want to install would be some form of frame-mounted system - even if I have to fab up some supplimentary framing. I also am not crazy about attaching things to the rocker panels (I didn't realize that most of them are that way).

Thanks for all the input guys - I'll keep my eyes and ears open.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
Roper

James thats a good idea. Would love to see pics when you get it done. Haha I have to go out and look under mine to visualize this a bit better in my mind but that seems like a good idea useing the fuel tank mounts as a mount for makeing up a set of running boards.
Im not a fan of aftermarket alunimin running boards either but I know I have to have something there.
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
mitch1965

I put Smittybilt bars on my '96 when the truck was 1 month old, and the paint is just now starting to flake. This truck has never been garaged, either. I am making bars for my '85 K20 from 2x3 rectangular tubing, and coating them with bedliner.