The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
renegade8720

Dolphin Gauges??????????????

Hi, I just got my new billit dash with cutouts for 5" speedo and tach and 2 1/16" for the rest of the gauges. Has anyone here had any experience with these gauges? How do they compare to Autometer?

Thanks,
Renegade

Last edited by renegade8720; 01-10-2008 at 02:32 PM.
renegade8720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Dolphin Gauges??????????????

?????????????????????????

I'm not sure what you mean ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Seriously though, I think your question mark key is stuck

Dolphin is just another company. Their line seems to cater more towards "classic" and "old-timey" looking gauges. I've never heard anything bad about the performance of them, and if you're going for a rustic look, and the gauge styles at their website look good to you, I say GO FOR IT!

There are other companies as well, like Autometer and also Classic Instruments. Both cater to different crowds and have different styles, looks and features. SunPro is another name that's been around forever.

I just personally dig Autometer because its made here in the USA, the shop is just a state or two away (Illinois), and they have everything I want - including reverse-glow gauges that look a little modern with that classic musclecar flair - oh yeah, and they have a huge assortment of senders/adapters and whatnot to fit any application.

Just my preference.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
renegade8720

Sorry about the ???????????
Got a little carried away.

The main question about the gauges was about quality. The price difference between Dolphin and Autometer is is quite a bit. I have always used Autometer in the past, but I am on somewhat of a budget as my truck is getting ready to go to paint which is costing me around $5000 and my interior is going to cost around $3000. The difference in price is what was looking attractive.

Thanks,
Renegade
renegade8720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
Putter
More Cowbell....

Not picking about dollars, but if you are spending $8000+ on appearance items (paint & passenger compartment), saving a few bucks on instruments won't keep the bottom line down all that much.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
Psycho71

Someoe else you might want to check out is Equus gauges. Carried by Orielly auto parts here in Tx. I have been running some of their gauges for over a year now, and no problems. They are pretty limited in options, but the white faced (performance) series look pretty good. If that's the look you want. I however, don't know about a 5" speedo. I know they make a 5" tach, but not sure about the speedo.

Summit Racing also has some gauges that are more economical than autometer, or Stewart Warner. You might look there too.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 01-11-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

I want to reiterate what Jay said.

If money is an option and you want to retain decent looks, check out Summit's in-house line of gauges. I heard a rumour that they are actually produced by another major gauge manufacturer that is much more expensive, but I won't say the name because I don't know if it's true or not.

www.summitracing.com

They have all shapes and sizes, good looks, and low prices.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote