The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Post AWD FIDS Discussion

For the past few days I've been brainstorming about an idea I had when looking at a build thread on an S10 forum I frequent and am wondering as to whether or not it is feasible.

I am thinking about picking up an older mini truck (probably an old Toyota or Datsun) and a new WRX STi and taking the drivetrain and suspension from the Subaru and transplanting it onto a custom frame that will accommodate the truck's body.

My room mate and I have been talking about it on and off for the past few days. We both agree that it would be a bad ass truck and alot of fun to play with, but we can't agree on if the truck will lay frame, or that the air suspension would work. He is saying that because of the front axles, you can't lay the frame, but I think that with the right engineering on the control arms and front clip, it can be done.

Another Idea I had involved using the motor/tranny as the front crossmember. I got the idea from F1 cars that use the tranny bellhousing as the rear crossmember.

Nothing with this idea is set in stone and I hardly have anything actually planned as far as parts are concerned. Right now It's just a concept/idea that I'm playing with and need some advice on. Any input is appreciated.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
72 cheyenne pdx

Re: AWD FIDS Discussion

What I would recommend is going on the WRX forum and seeing if anyone is bagging these and if there are any issues in doing so. Here is a WRX forum http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/

Good Luck
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I would look for a wrecked typhoon or cyclone and use the drive train from that.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
69burban
Garage Built Rides

Universal Air Suspension makes a really nice strut bag, if you can figure a way to retain the strut style suspension in the custom frame, I guess it would just be seeing what hits first after that. Just an idea, I'm sure you've thought of it allready. Cool idea, I like it, a rally truck. I allways thought it would be cool to do an S2000 drive train in a mini too. www.universalairsuspension.com
69burban is offline   Reply With Quote