The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
chris71

bench seat differences

my 71 bench seat is pretty bad, totally stock but just sucks, when you sit in it i feel like i am leaning towards the door. its a spring bottom.

just for clarity (correct me if i am wrong):

67-68 had full foam bottom and spring back (and had tilt forward back option)
69-72 full foam bottom and back, but some seats had the spring bottom (rigid non-tilt back)

i remember siting in my fathers 72 and it is pretty comfy, i think it has the full foam deal.

where the full foam seats for 69-72 an option? or just different plants did what they felt like. the price of seat foam in LMC was $500 WTF!!!!! i am thinking of maybe picking up a foam seat from a junkyard and recovering it if the foam was still intact. any other options you guys can think of? i am trying to stay with the stock look.
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: bench seat differences

These seats have been swapped back and forth so much, you may not have an original after 40 yrs. But the 67-68's had a thinner pad on the bottom. It was about the same thickness all the way across the bottom seat.

In the later model trucks, a thicker foam was introduced for the bottom.

The backs were pretty much the same on all of them. And as far as tilt, I've never seen one unless it had a bolt removed, but I hear that it may have been an option on some of them.

I have definitely found out that foam and covers for these seats are not cheap! I'm going to try to stay with the stock look myself, but will weigh my options when I start restoring them....
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Re: bench seat differences

From what I know, and that may not be much:
Two different seats in 67-8 & 69-70 & 71-2. Cheap models had lots of springs...better models had full foam bottom cushions and backs.
I will sell you new foam(s) and covers for a lot less than LMC. You can PM me for details.
Remember you MUST order your covers to match your year seat...the frames were just different enough that you cannot mix them up...they won't fit.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote