The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
SactoJim

My "I wish" LS Engine Swap!

How nice would it be to have this nestled between the frame rails of your old pick em up truck?!

620 hp and +600 ft lbs or torque, great street manors and even +20mpg on the open road!!

ZR1, LS9!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-corvette-zr1.html
Attached Images

- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
abadsvt

Re: My "I wish" LS Engine Swap!

Me tooooo. I want one sooooo bad.
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

I saw that the other day. Amazing. In fact, isn't this something that the guys on "Dream Garage" or whatever (on TV) are driving on the autobahn right now? Oh well.

Oh - two comments: 1) No PS pump? Weird. I'd assume it would be present. 2) Note the nice, slim bottom end ... bet that would slide right between our framerails

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
68 short step

power steering pump is the pulley in front of the dr. side head...simular to camaro/firebirds..hmmm, that a 6.2L, wonder why they didnt use the 7.0L
guess they wanted the new head design that flows stupid amounts of air..cool, mabey i can talk 71HULK to get one of these bad boys instead of a 7.0L

Last edited by 68 short step; 01-10-2008 at 02:08 PM.
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Nickpisp

Hey! My SPID says I have an LS9 too!
Nickpisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Pop's72
It's ok to stare...

I'd take that over a 572!!
Pop's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
corn

Most of us would be quite satisfied with a blown small block.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

They didn't use the LS7 block because the cylinder walls were too thin for an application with boost.

I want to find that blower setup in a scrapyard and bolt it on my LSx
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
c10addict

My friend works for GM on the performance team that designed it... He said it is sick crazy stupid fast.... He said there is alot more in it too if tuned properly... They are also releasing a new Cobalt SS that is supposed to be silly fast too... The took the supercharger off and turbo charged it to pick up more HP... You didn't hear it from me though...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
bowtieboy93

my friend showed me that yesterday in school, wicked little motors. I read on one site that they are supposed to get 26 Mpg.
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieboy93 View Post
I read on one site that they are supposed to get 26 Mpg.

Ahhhh, the joys of EFI. Some people will just never get it - you CAN have massive power and good mpg too

It's all about technology - better design. Glad to see GM is still moving in leaps and bounds. Even if they hafta cut down to making only 5-6 different models of cars, if they continue knocking out these beautiful, lean, performing beasts of engines, they hopefully won't have anything to worry about.

I wish their body/interior designers could start putting out stuff as spectacular as these engines....

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Ahhhh, the joys of EFI. Some people will just never get it - you CAN have massive power and good mpg too

It's all about technology - better design. Glad to see GM is still moving in leaps and bounds.

Not to mention remote easy starters for those cold days from in side the house

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
corn

I like my old stuff to be old. If I wanted new, Id just get a new one. Dont get me wrong, to each their own, thats just my worthless opinion...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn View Post
I like my old stuff to be old. If I wanted new, Id just get a new one. Dont get me wrong, to each their own, thats just my worthless opinion...
I actually respect your opinion, and am glad that we have guys out there that think like this. If we didn't, everything would be the same and it would suck royally for everyone. Diversity is what makes rodding fun.

Think about it - if we gearheads didn't have ricers to laugh at, where would we be? If ricers didn't have some inclined folks to make a 1200HP Toyota Supra, what reason would they have to stick with it? If everyone went American and Asian, who'd bother swapping American muscle into German engineered vehicles like Porsches and BMWs?

And, seriously, if we were only allowed newer engines in older cars, where would our nostalgia and history go? (Down the toilet).

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens in the coming decade. Technology is only going to see power and efficiency increases, and probably the advent of new legislation to suppress the use of older cars and/or engine technologies for anything other than hobby/show use.

Keep your eyes peeled and your mind open

Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #15
SactoJim

Good observation shifty.

I'll tell you this.......as a kid I spent alot of time around old Corvettes (father had a vette restoration/repair business) and nothing sounds as good as a 427/425 hp Corvette with factory chambered side exhaust. I still get tingly thinking about how it sounded just sitting idling and going through the gears! By todays standards, it handles like a tank, but brutally fast in a straight line!....I like old school hp too!....but...

There's just something cool about hi-tech horsepower, and how far can it go? Were talking over 600 hp with mellow street manors and +20 mpg....OMG! The closest thing I can think of that had that kind of hp from the GM factory (though is wasn't advertised as that) was the ZL1 (aluminum 427) that they put in something like 69 Camaros and 2 Corvettes.....I imagine on a good day it got 8 mpg and I'm betting it's street manors on a 100 degree day in traffic were less than enjoyable.

I love the look and feel of my 383 with the mini blower on it, but if something like this was dangled in front of me for a reasonable price, I'd be all over it! Of course the key word is "reasonable".....that vette is gonna be somewhere around $120K with limited production numbers. On another note...how would you like to have to do a brake job on that thing.....ceramic rotors!

This is where I start the "SACTOJIM ZR1 DONATION DRIVE"! I figure if all the members of this site pitch in $3 apiece, it will get me close. for the rest I can just put on some tattered clothes, grow a struffy beard, get my dog and stand on a corner someplace with a cardboard sign stating "will work for ZR1". Now I won't really "work" for it, but just take passerby's spare dollars.

So ya guys in.....IT IS A WORTHY CAUSE! You will also sleep better at night knowing that you did such a selfless act!!
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
71Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
power steering pump is the pulley in front of the dr. side head...simular to camaro/firebirds..hmmm, that a 6.2L, wonder why they didnt use the 7.0L
guess they wanted the new head design that flows stupid amounts of air..cool, mabey i can talk 71HULK to get one of these bad boys instead of a 7.0L

Well if u can find one let me know my brother!
71Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote