The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Jvan

14 bolt corporate axles for 1st gen blazer

I've come across a local sale in Craig's list for the front and rear axles from a 85 suburban 3/4 ton. The ratio is 3.73. He's asking $200. Is that a fair price and would they swap into a 1st gen 72 Blazer. I don't know if they have positraction or not and the they look alittle rusted on the shafts but I've only seen a picture. What should I look for and avoid? I'm getting parts to do a restoration so this is not a must have but a stronger upgrade for the future.

Last edited by Jvan; 01-11-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Jvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Jvan

14 bolt corporate axles for 1st gen blazer

I've come across a local sale in Craig's list for the front and rear axles from a 85 suburban 3/4 ton. The ratio is 3.73. He's asking $200. Is that a fair price and would they swap into a 1st gen 72 Blazer. I don't know if they have positraction or not and the they look alittle rusted on the shafts but I've only seen a picture. What should I look for and avoid? I'm getting parts to do a restoration so this is not a must have but a stronger upgrade for the future.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
DieselEater

Re: 14 bolt corporate axles for 1st gen blazer

great price for both!!! You'll have to relocate the spring perches on the rear end to work on a 72.

A......
D60/14bolt
205/465
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=127691959
DieselEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Just so you know, there is a "what's it worth" forum just for things like this, but it is fairly new, so I will leave this here, for now at least.

As to your questions

If it is $200 for the pair, it is probably a good deal, reguardless of condition (unless they are really destroyed)
Things to look for:
Anything "loose" ... ball-joints, tie-rods, axle-joints, wheel bearings, etc.
Are they complete? brake parts etc.
Lock-out hubs? or automatics?
Look at the wheel studs
Leaks?
Look at the yokes
Can you take the covers off to look at the gears?
If the rear has a "factory" posi....don't look at it as a bonus. Do NOT pay any extra for it. If you can open and look, do so. If the "factory posi" is already damaged, it will be fairly obvious. When they go bad, there will be small parts floating around and a visual inspection will show the broken stuff. You don't even really need to know what you are looking for....it should be that obvious. It is possible that it is not hurt. With a stock engine, stock-sized tires, and fairly normal driving they can survive. That is about it though, they won't stand much more than that. If it is not destroyed, it may be worth buying, but like I said, don't pay any extra for it.
Just realize that you will probably have to put some money in them to get them under your truck.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Jvan

Didn't realize that there is a forum for "what it's worth" I'll try to get a look at them this weekend. The guy seems desperate to get them out of "his mother's backyard". Thanks for the list of things to check and the info on the posi. I'don't know how complete they are and I didn't think of asking. Good point to consider. I have 6 lugs now. Are 3/4 ton axles 6 or 8 lugs and if their 8 lug, can they be changed to 6 lug or should I leave them?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
1969 GMC

If it is stock, it is most likely a semifloating 14 bolt rear, and a 10 bolt front. I would keep looking.

3/4 ton will be 8 lug.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I put 3/4 ton axles from a 78 truck into my 70 K5. The front axle was the Dana 44 and the rear was the 14 bolt full floater.

I had to use a conversion u-joint to connect the rear axle. I positioned the axle as close to centered in my wheel well and did have my rear driveshaft lenght changed. I replaced the rear hard brake lines and used a new rubber line for the 78 axle. I did move the spring perches and relocated the shock mounts.

For the front Dana 44 3/4 ton axle, it bolted right in. My hard brake lines would not fit the 78's new replacement rubber hoses. As I was going to have to use adapters at my brake booster (I swapped in the 78's master) and at the place where the hard meets the rubber, I went ahead and just made all new front hard lines to avoid having adapters at both ends.

Here is a thread that has a bunch of details and pics of my project and the axle swap.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Jvan

Thanks Yukon Jack, the link is a big help. I'll look at them this weekend and this thread has been a great help.
Longhair, where is the "what's it worth' site. I looked but couldn't find it.