The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
TJ2000

Post Hot 454V8

Have a 71 SWB K10 stepside w/ a 454V8 and Manual 4 spd. trans., 4 core radiator, new fan clutch on fan, no thermostat at this time due to running hot. At highway speeds (60mph+) temp is fine, at slower speeds (offroad) engine tends to eventually overheat into the red zone. Also what is the purpose of the pre-formed 3/4" 90 degree bypass hose (I think people call it a bypass hose) that goes from the top of the water pump to the front of the intake manifold?? Thanks for any and all info...
Old 05-17-2002, 06:30 PM   #2
Baradium
Binder Rep

a bypass hose sends water through the block even when the thermostat is closed (recirculates in the motor) so that the engine temp is even throughout the motor. The GMC V-6 motors havea 3" bypass, I think my scout's is 2.5 (same as the rad hoses). Also, a thermostat shouldn't affect whether you run hot or not, so start changing stuff to make it run right, and if you have to, turn the heater on to save your motor.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
bigjimzlll

a thermostat is supposed to allow the water to stay in the radiator longer, and restrict water flow to allow the water to cool...I have found out that the engine runs cooler with a thermostat

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:45 PM   #4
speeddemon

what size thermostat were you running? a thermostat will normaly open later than the temp that is marked on it. 180* - 200 degree engine temp. Do you have a fan shroud?

------------------
69-C10 LWB

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn
speeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:54 PM   #5
Zkast
Account Suspended

Yep yep, get that thermostat back in there. Water will run through the radiator faster if un-metered (thermostat) and not allow good heat exchange.

Carefully take the radiator cap off, since you have no thermostat at this point you can do this test while the engine is cold, start the engine and watch for good coolant flow through the radiator. low flow at idle will cause overheating. This is caused from a restricted radiator core or rusted/worn pump impellers.

------------------
Pictures and more...
Email me
'71 LWB
350/350T, PS/PB
Special options? Yes, RUST... Need some?

Garrett
Olathe, Kansas
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Yep you need your thermostat.
What fan/clutch & shroud are you running?

------------------
Toms River NJ
(Transplanted Hoosier)

56 working Street Rod(under construction 71-2 coil chassis)
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day.

DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 09:19 PM   #7
TJ2000

Ok!! To the firs 4 replies,,,, 180, 185, 194 degree thermostat for the winter, can't remember which. Seems like no difference in temp. whether I have a thermostat or not, still runs hot. Radiator clean and not fouled. I do have a radiator shroud and pulled out the water pump and removed the back cover, the impeller is in fine shape, no corrosion and no shaft seal leaks the tell tale holes,, I don't lose any coolant, I just can't keep it cool!!
Old 05-17-2002, 09:37 PM   #8
Baradium
Binder Rep

check your mixture. running too lean can have your engine running hotter. main jets maybe too lean? Check your spark plugs to see how they look. If your cooling system was working correctly you wouldn't be overheating. You could try a different pulley on the crank or water pump to make the fan and pump spin faster. I also reccommend putting some water wetter in with your water/coolant mix.

[This message has been edited by Baradium (edited May 17, 2002).]
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:51 PM   #9
Zkast
Account Suspended

Is your fan a direct drive or does it have a fan clutch? verify good air flow. next would be.. Does the airflow coming from the fan at idle feel VERY hot, hot, mild or cold. This will give you an idea of what temp the water is hitting the radiator.
Do you happen to have a infrared temperature gun? ok ok so maybe every doesnt have one Verify that it is actually getting to the temp your gauge says.

------------------
Pictures and more...
Email me
'71 LWB
350/350T, PS/PB

Garrett
Olathe, Kansas
Old 05-18-2002, 11:57 AM   #10
cableguy0

i would first verify the actual temp with a temp gun and if it is actually overheating i would lookin into the lean burn condition.does ur exhaust ever glow red after a long run

------------------
72 chevy lwb 350 lunati cam ported and polished cast 2.02 heads proform hei edelbrock performer rpm and 750 carb balanced bottom end 9.5:1 compression ps,pb th350 with a tci 2500 stall convertor full man v-body kevlar clutches and bands as well as other goodies

Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 01:13 PM   #11
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Is your timing set properly? Not enough advance could cause overheating too.

[This message has been edited by Randy70C-10 (edited May 18, 2002).]
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 01:14 PM   #12
Erl

You say the radiator is clean. The outside can be clean and the inside of the tubes covered with contamination (scale). If you have not done this remove your radiator and take it to a shop to be boiled out. It does not cost too much. Sometimes it is what you can not see that hurts you most. Post the solution when you find it.

------------------
68 GMC 305V6 3/4 4x4 Stepside
54 Kaiser Darrin
Ducati Monster
Dallas TX

Erl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 08:00 PM   #13
loenuf

i tell you what you need to do...i had the same prob on my truck, its strickly a mud truck only. everything is new under the hood and still had a overheating prob only in mud holes. i threw away the clutch fan and got a direct drive flex fan and it droped it 20 degreese and keeps it there! the clutch fan wont move air when your sittin in a mud hole. give it a shot, those fans are cheap, and i bet it cures your problem.
loenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 09:10 AM   #14
TJ2000

THANKS everybody for your input,, I think, I found the problem. My fan clutch fan was a CCW rotation fan, its hard to tell the difference between a CW/CCW rotation fan if you don't know what you're looking for,,, I didn't!! I might try the direct drive flex fan,, maybe,, I heard they were noisy,, especially an 18" diameter one. Bought this truck last fall and have been slowly getting all the bugs out and making it road worthy,, Thanks all...
Old 05-19-2002, 09:13 AM   #15
Zkast
Account Suspended

Great to hear! Personaly, I would stick with a stock fan w/fan clutch.

------------------
Pictures and more...
piston@zkast.com
'71 LWB
350/350T, PS/PB

Garrett - Olathe, Kansas