The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
David Flores

ebrake with th400 help

What have you guys done? I actually forgot about the ebrake and would like to get it working before i put my cab back on the frame.

Every replacement part I've found says it will work with everything except turbo transmissions.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
David Flores

Re: ebrake with th400 help

anyone?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Talking Re: ebrake with th400 help

'64 pick-up: non-existant

'64 'burb: non-working
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

it should work the origonals any way cuz i have the original one in my k20 and it has a turbo 350 but my 66 c10 has a 350 and orig. ebrake not working cuz they fubared it
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Chevysdominate

Why would the ebrake not work with a turbo transmission? Im not sure the transmission has anything to do with the ebrake. They may be talking about the area behind the transmission where the drivers side cable connects to the passenger side, but i still didnt have any problems and i have a th400 in my 65. I have a completely different rear end in my truck, so i had to modify the ebrake setup anyway. I think the 'it wont work with a turbo transmission' parts will work just fine with a little work, but i cant be sure about that. Good luck.
Chevysdominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
greg64

Hi David,

I've got a TH400 in my 64. What was done to make it work is a clever lever attached to the tranny mount. Okay, here's what we've got:
- cable from ebrake handle comes down and ends short of the tranny crossmember.
- rear brake cables come from drums up to the tranny crossmember. Now, this is actually a bit of an issue, because the stock cables are not necessarily long enough. On mine, Lokar cables were used, where the cable jackets/sheathes are anchored on the crossmember for the trailing arms.
- okay, now to tie it together, there is an arm that's about 8" long that pivots off the tranny xmember (pivoted at the passenger side end). The cable from the handle anchors at the opposite end (8" away from pivot), although this is actually done with a piece of flat bar, because the ebrake cable itself isn't long enough to reach. About midpoint of the arm, the two rear cables attach.

Now, what this all does is magnify the force from the handle somewhat, while still connecting all the necessary pieces. I didn't design this arrangement myself, but a couple of guys at a shop I was using had just done this mod to their 68, and I was in an immediate need to get the ebrakes working to pass our safety check.

I can probably get a picture of it if you more detail.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
David Flores

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg64 View Post
Hi David,

I've got a TH400 in my 64. What was done to make it work is a clever lever attached to the tranny mount. Okay, here's what we've got:
- cable from ebrake handle comes down and ends short of the tranny crossmember.
- rear brake cables come from drums up to the tranny crossmember. Now, this is actually a bit of an issue, because the stock cables are not necessarily long enough. On mine, Lokar cables were used, where the cable jackets/sheathes are anchored on the crossmember for the trailing arms.
- okay, now to tie it together, there is an arm that's about 8" long that pivots off the tranny xmember (pivoted at the passenger side end). The cable from the handle anchors at the opposite end (8" away from pivot), although this is actually done with a piece of flat bar, because the ebrake cable itself isn't long enough to reach. About midpoint of the arm, the two rear cables attach.

Now, what this all does is magnify the force from the handle somewhat, while still connecting all the necessary pieces. I didn't design this arrangement myself, but a couple of guys at a shop I was using had just done this mod to their 68, and I was in an immediate need to get the ebrakes working to pass our safety check.

I can probably get a picture of it if you more detail.
If you could get a picture, that would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Greg 64......post a pick please. That sounds like a nice set-up that would not be too difficult to make. I posted earlier for the fun of it but I would like these things to work if possible.........rite now my only option is Fred Flintstone!!
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #9
PrerunnerRob

What about using a column shft manual crossmember? It's only purpose for buing there is the create a pivot for the e-brake cables. I'll take a picture of mine later today.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
greg64

Here are 4 pics I took of the ebrake mount. Trouble is, with the burb sitting on the floor, it's hard to get a really good picture.

The right hand end is welded to the trans mount, and allows the bar link to pivot. This could probably be done with a bolt just as well. The long slot to the left acts as a guide plate to keep the bar horizontal. It's bolted to the trans mount. The cables coming up from the rear are the Lokar ones.
Attached Images

greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote