The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
kulturekat

new wiring harness

hey guys out there i just got a new 21 circuit wiring harness from ez wiring im so excited to get my truck rewired and the kit looks awesome but i wanted to know if anyone has done a complete rewiring on their 67-72 chevy truck with the ez wiring kit and if they have any advice or anything they come across that they might want to pass along as help before i undertake this task.

i want to get this in asap but it also makes me wanna wait and completly redo my engine compartment so i dont have to do it later any thoughts to this as well? i have a 69 if that helps anyone by the way
kulturekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
60ratrod
yes, i do

Re: new wiring harness

well i don't think the kit that i put in my 60 was an ez kit, but i would find where you wanna mount your fuse block, separate the wires according to where they go, engine, cab, rear. i would also try to reuse your oem firewall connectors.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

I ran EZWire in my 67. First time I ever did a total rewire. The instruction manual has some very good tips, so you should not have any big problems...
Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
kulturekat

awesome thanks guys yeah im not too worried about it. the manual does seem to have their own good tips about sorting and whatnot just good to hear from someone first hand thanks guys im excited to go ahead and get started.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I have not used an easy wire kit but plan to as I have heard positive comments from them. I have rewired my blazer with a painless kit and it went ok for mesomeone with no wireing experiance and I have tried a highway wireing kit and threw the damn thing away cause it sucked so bad..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
kulturekat

update on the wiring harness man it was a breeze as long as you pay attention to the details and are patient and have some common sense about wiring (of course i love electrical) then youll be good and that kit is amazing its its own right they are all labeled every 5 inches just like it boasts. they claim on the website it will take 20 hours for an amateur first timer and they were pretty right. so i totally recommend the kit. and i could have easily used a 12 circuit cause of so many non upgrades. but the circuits are there for me in the future
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
andrewt2

what kit did you get? just the universal 12 circuit kit? where can they be purchased from? im getting ready to do a total rewire on my stepside and im looking for a good recomendation on who to go with.
andrewt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
kulturekat

i went to ezwiring.com i got the 21 circuit cause it has everything youll need and plenty of room to upgrade if you want to upgrade to like auto windows and an expanded stereo. plus it wasnt much more than the 12 circuit but the 12 circuit one i was told should cover everything our truck needs. but i figure better safe than sorry plus its nearly half the cost of the expensive painless. im not paying 350 for somehtign i can get thats just as good if not better just my opinion.

youre not incredibly far from me we could even work out somehting and id definatly help you rewire reguardless of the harness you choose.

the other bonus of the ezworingis its labeled and theyll give you a universal chart that matches gm specs thats color coded. let me know if you have any more questions. some people swear by that painless kit but its expensive in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
andrewt2

yeah i think the ez kit is the one im going to go with... ive heard nothing but good things from everyone and the price is certianly right. kulture... do you plan to attend the midwest meet in may in nebraska? im trying to get my stepside done by then and find any many other trucks from around kansas and down south of me to cruise on up with.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
kulturekat

i woud love to but i wont be going anywhere unless i overhaul my engine its ok for now cause i only drive a few ,iles a day but a long drive like that im sure id end up walking also thats the start of my autocross roadrace season but i have it marked so hopefully i can get the engine overhauledin plenty of time ill definatly let you know but i do have a few months a head of me so could happen good luck on wiring once againlet me know if you hit a snag ill do my best to help
Old 01-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
b&a72

I purchased an EZ Wiring kit as well just have not installed it yet. Looks to be a pretty sweet kit. There is a couple of other members that have installed this kit with relative ease as well.
b&a72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Psycho71

I too have one sitting in my new parts pile. I'll hopefully be getting to installing it in the next few weeks. Looks like it won't be all that bad.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #13
kulturekat

i used a painless wiring kit in one of my mustangs and comparing it to the ezwiring one i put in this truck was so much more worth it.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #14
kulturekat

hey andrewt2 saw you had a couple of mustangs thats cool i have 7 one of them i just finished was a 66 like yours for my wife. always liked trucks but just now started getting around to really restoring these.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
andrewt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulturekat View Post
hey andrewt2 saw you had a couple of mustangs thats cool i have 7 one of them i just finished was a 66 like yours for my wife. always liked trucks but just now started getting around to really restoring these.
we're at the same points in our life.. im 19 almost 20 been restoring mustangs since i was 10 (have 2 currently have owned dozens) and always loved these trucks and needed something differnt so i bought a couple... lol, pm me if u want to chat mustangs or motors or whatever. heck as cheap as orielys long blocks can be bought these days they're almost the way to go i just priced one of my stepside the other day said about 700 bucks buys a complete long block just switch over somethings and it's ready to drop in. i ended up getting a sweet deal on the 305 for my stepside in my build thread tho. only 75 bucks!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
kulturekat

wow i never heard anything about engines from there. ill look into that.im more of a body guy while everyone else was busy souping up there engines i was customizing shaving frenching painting sanding pinstriping thats what i know so im starting to learn about engines.
im picking up a 69 chevy and a 56 ford this weekend other than the 7 mustangs i have 10 other various cars and trucks. so ive got a fleet haha. i do always make it up the the ark city show every year well have to be sure to hook up if you end up going to that show
Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

you dont have a fleet till your hitting triple digits

Im gonna try to get my k5 and the weekend open so i can head up to the nebraska board meet, so if you travel up there you getta cruise with me and andrew.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #18
Richard Dobson

I want to put a wiring harness in my 71 C10 with a bb with hei. Does the wiring harness you are installing have the engine compartment harness too?
I have heard a lot of good things about the M&H harnesses but you guys are about to convince me to go to EZ instead. I have a 67 front clip on my 71 which would make the turn signal wiring different, would they customize one for changes like that?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #19
Psycho71

To the best of my knowledge, they only make universal harness'.

http://www.ezwiring.com/

I don't suppose it'd hurt to ask 'em though.

Mine looks simple enough, I know more this week whan I start putting it in.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
kulturekat

yes its universal so youd have to wire it yourself but its setup for 3 parts ... engine compartment the fuse block for the firewall...the cab dash aetc and then from the cab back. each loom is seperated theyre labeled but you can seperate them the way you want them ran. i did a binch of customizing to my kit just because i like to just its really simple just to wire it up normal