The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
chevy_power1995

87 chevy no power

I have no power what so ever and i have no clue why?? when i took my starter out i accidently crossed over with the frame and sparked alot probably shorting something my guess but does anyone know what?? i looked at the ignition fuses and the start fuses they were all good is there any other places theres fuses besides underneath driver side by the pedals??? 1987 chevy silverado 5.7 4x4 or is there something else that maybe shorted or something???? or maybe a fuse somewhere that i cant see its fried???? no power period my lights wont even turn on and it doesnt crank nothing zero power batterys charged ground is good connections are tight.
chevy_power1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: 87 chevy no power

Check the fusabile links. The main link is on the firewall behind the brake booster. Check the wires heading to the alternator too.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you definately fried a fusible link

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Chevy: Problem is in "B"+ circut to the starter from the battery and or ground circut to the engine block, also from the battery. (this applys to a single battery system. Dual battery systems are different)
A short circut like you describe draws a huge amount of amperage and amperage = heat, lots of heat. Good thing here is what has happened is very localized. Only parts involved are the battery, the eng block and the battery cables. Fuse links are ok because they get power FROM the "B" terminal on the starter. They will only burn if the short is AFTER the starter in another circut fed by the fuse links. Same with fuses.
I know you all think I'm nuts, here's the logic to what I'm saying. Take a battery, a fuse and a light bulb and hook them up so power flows through the fuse to the lamp to ground and lamp lights. Short the FEED side of the fuse to ground and the fuse won't blow. In effect you have taken a wire and shorted the battery out. If you didn't cut into the 10 guage red wires attached to the "B" term on the starter everything "south" of the "B" term will be OK. A simple pull on the fuse links will tell you if they are burnt out.
If you have a side mount battery I want you to swap out the battery and recheck vehicle or turn the lights on and wiggle the cable ends and see if the lights flicker or light up. Side mount batteries are notorious for terminal failure ESPECIALLY if someone has used a bolt\nut arrangement to attach the cables to the battery instead of the short screw that comes with the cable. Seen this a hundred times over the years and have screwed up a battery or 2 myself doing just that. This being the case, get a new battery and both cables with the correct screws\bolts. Let me know what happens, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
57larry

sounds like you didn't disconnect the battery when you dropped the starter out. sounds like a fried link
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Larry: Read my post just above this one. Links have to be OK unless the short generated was into one of the 2 red wires attached to the "B" terminal on the starter. If thats' the case you'll be able to see they are burnt out and a quick pull will verify this. Chevy would have seen they were burnt out when he went to reinstall starter and would have fixed them then, right? I've seen this before. I should add however that a failing starter can do the same thing to the supply side circutry a dead short does, it just takes a little longer. Very basicly what chevy did was in effect, hook the "B"+ battery cable to the "B"- cable represented by the frame in this case.
What usually happens as a result of this is one or the other or both side mount terminal ends inside the lead terminal itself melt and the nut the cable bolt screws into becomes very loose and looses connection. In rare cases where the battery is good but a cheap replacement and a short occurs in the "B"+ cable to ground this "meltdown" occurs inside the battery itself where the terminals attach to the plates, sometimes resulting in a arc inside the battery and an explosion. I'm sure Chevy will let us know what happened, but I'm still very much of the mind this failure is located in the cables, battery or both. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote