The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
LBJ

Anyone Used Extang Tonneau Covers?

Been looking for an affordable tonneau cover for the 77. Fiberglass is way to expensive and heavy for my likes. Extang makes one called the Full TIlt and has a vinyl cover. About $360 shipped. Any user comments? Thanks. LBJ
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Anyone Used Extang Tonneau Covers?

I have an Extang "classic" on my 91 SWB, daily driver and also one on my Son's 86 SWB. Both covers are over five years old. The quality is a good cover and the warranty on the parts is great. I have had to get a few corner pieces, due to the wear from wind buffeting. They send me new ones without cost---lifetime warranty. I had cover get damaged and they replaced that---there is a limit on the warranty on the cover but it is around four years on that. i like the covers, because I can roll them up and haul items anytime. Cold weather is a little painful, because once they are rolled up, you have to heat the cover to get it to fit the snaps again---that way it does not tear.

Last edited by piecesparts; 01-22-2008 at 12:24 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
LBJ

Sounds like a good report. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

try checkmate tonneau covers... they are 536 bux shipped with hardware, solid one piece hard cover low profile

that was a mouth-full heh... thats where I'm getting mine... as soon as my tax refund gets in :/

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlife View Post
try checkmate tonneau covers... they are 536 bux shipped with hardware, solid one piece hard cover low profile

that was a mouth-full heh... thats where I'm getting mine... as soon as my tax refund gets in :/
I have a hard tonneau on my show truck. It is made by SNUGTOP and I like it for what it does. It gives me security on lang hauls and I can lock it. However, anything that is of a hard tonneau design is a PAIN, when you want to haul something big. It never happens as a planned evolution, either. I am always away from home and then I need to haul a big item to the son's house or even back to my home. That is why the soft tonneau works great on my daily driver. The interior of the bed stays dry, the wind resistance is down, the cover is easy to rollup and it takes no time at all to do it. I live where there is snow and ice in the winter and hot sun in the summer. My top stands up well and as long as I keep it covered with a decent vinyl treatment, has never offered to dry out and crack. I did take some home door trim kits and seal the tailgate, to keep the dust out of the bed. I use the aluminum kits that has the rubber bulb mounted on the edge. I poprivet the trim to the bed edge to let the tailgate butt up against it.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
LBJ

A business I was looking at gives a free tailgate sealer kit with the tonneau cover and free shipping.

LMC just RAISED their price of the Extang popup (I guess, since they hardly mention name brands) over $100 from their last catalog. Man, that's a hefty increase. It's now $460 I think.

I also like the versatility of the vinyl cover. Only weighs 30 pounds.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #7
mbgmike

Where are you located in texas? We are dealers for Extang. The full tilt are special order covers. We can usually beat all the low price gaurantee crap alot of companies say.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Those automotive tailgate sealer kits are really messy and crude looking. That is why I went to the aluminum trim pieces. You can even buy the stuff in different colors to match.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
A business I was looking at gives a free tailgate sealer kit with the tonneau cover and free shipping.

LMC just RAISED their price of the Extang popup (I guess, since they hardly mention name brands) over $100 from their last catalog. Man, that's a hefty increase. It's now $460 I think.

I also like the versatility of the vinyl cover. Only weighs 30 pounds.
A standard Extang "Classic Platinum" cover is only $245.00 in Summit racing. It is not the pop up cover, but is a good quality cover for a decent price. The "Full Tilt" cover is around $370.00 in their listings. LMC is a little out of the pricing catabory.