The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Question Park Brake

I have two questions to ask about my park brake, and they both concern the pedal & release handle, the first thing I need to ask is, is there supposed to be a switch on or around the pedal to turn on the brake warning light when the brake is applied? I have looked everywere and can't find one, the brake light does come on for a short time when I turn the engine over then goes off as soon as the engine fires up. My second question is about the ratchet, there is a small spring which enables the release handle to return to it's origianal position when you pull it out to let the brake off, this spring has broken on mine, so I have to push the release handle back down manualy,can I buy a new one or do I have to replace the entire unit? pedal handle and all.....
I live in the UK and have just had this 71 Chevy Cheyenne C10 imported over from the States, so I need a little help with my new and beautifull wheels until I get to know what i'm doing.

Thanks.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Park Brake

No warning light for the parking brake. That light you see when you fire up is from the switch on the proportioning valve. It's normal for it to illuminate momentarily when the starter is drawing current. It'll tell you if one of your master cylinder resevours is empty.

As for the spring, I think you'll have to find a suitable replacement at a local hardware store. Good luck and Welcome to the site.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Thumbs up Re: Park Brake

Thanks mate for your reply, your advice has solved both my queries, now I can give up the pointless search for a park brake warning light switch...what else can I look for in my truck that never excisted?

Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

good fuel economy!
Welcome to the boards!

Your truck being a cheyenne will have a lot of the little features that we have been spoiled with for 40 years... like the dome light that comes on when you open the door, that was not included on a truck with a lesser trim package, same with the headliner.
There will be small things here and there that you may notice, but feel free to come here and ask questions.
I am also going to move this thread to the correct location. This is the Suburban section of the board... I'll put you to the 67 - 72 truck pages, where there is 10 times the traffic.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

I've been thinking of how to rig up a warning light for my e-brake eightbanger, but I havnt cooked anything up yet. I've been spoiled by modern vehicles.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

it would be easy, mount a micro switch (normally closed, momentarily closed) so that the amp of the pedal hits the switch and opens the curcuit. As for the wiring, run one wire to a ground, then the other wire to the brown wire on the proportioning valve under the master cylinder.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

What made me assume there was such a switch to be found in classic vehicle in the first place, was that there was one in my old 65 Buick Riviera, I must say that in the UK back in the day, to find anything remotely like the extras that you can find on an American classic from the same period...ie AC, Cruise even hazard lights and reverse lights, well your chances were slim and none, unless you were rich and could afford cars from the top end of the market. But your right Longhorn Man it does sound like it would be a relatively easy job to fit one.

Last edited by eightbanger; 01-23-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthebuck View Post
I've been thinking of how to rig up a warning light for my e-brake eightbanger, but I havnt cooked anything up yet. I've been spoiled by modern vehicles.
I went to the wrecking yard and got one off a late 70 truck and it was simple cost me $5.00