The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

lowerd truck/ shock length

I'm going to order some shocks for my blazer and and I'm really not sure what length I need. It's lowered 5-6" in front with springs and lca's, do the lca's make the lenght I need to order closer to stock height? Sorry if thats a dumb question but I want to make sure I get the right parts.

Adam

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 01-25-2008 at 05:08 AM.
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: lowerd truck/ shock length

nobody knows? or dumb question?

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 01-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
chopper tom

I always re mount my stock shocks[back closer to the stock length ] and replace with stiffer ones.Always seemed to work ok for me and a lot cheeper to.
chopper tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
I'm going to order some shocks for my blazer and and I'm really not sure what length I need. It's lowered 5-6" in front with springs and lca's, do the lca's make the lenght I need to order closer to stock height? Sorry if thats a dumb question but I want to make sure I get the right parts.

Adam
Measure the stock shocks: Compressed, mid-stroke, & fully extended. Measure the shock mounts w/the truck sitting level @ ride height. Compare the measurements.

The lca's will still affect the overall length of the shock requirements since the distance between the upper mount & lower mount will be closer vs. stock.

If the shock measurements are too short vs. the distance between the shock mounts, you'll need shorter 'drop' shocks; shorter shocks for a different application; or you could relocate the shock mounts (whichever is easiest for you).

To determine what length you need, use the measurement of actual distance between the shock mounts when sitting @ ride height. You'll want this measurement to equal the middle of the new shocks travel length (or get as close to the middle as possible). Average suspension travel is 2~3" compression/extension from that middle length.

For example, if the ride height measurement is 10" between the mounts, add 2.5" for extension & subtract 2.5" for compression = 10 mid length, 7.5" compressed, 12.5 extended. Look for a shock that's close to your calculated numbers.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-26-2008 at 04:00 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
burger

Follow this link to a thread on another message board that has a chart listing Monroe shocks by end type and length. Measure your truck at ride height like SCOTI suggests above, and then use the chart to find Monroe shocks for your application that you can get at NAPA.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Last edited by burger; 01-26-2008 at 05:24 AM.
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
cochino12
It followed me home?

great, thanks for the info guys. The info in that last link is great!

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually