The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
oconnor

ART max height

Hey all, I have been on the fence between springs or bags for my 64 C10. I want to lower it about 4/6 f/r but also would like to be able to tow an original mini (1800 lbs including aluminum dolly trailer).

I would like to know if I do run bags, and want to tow, what height can I raise the truck to get more tongue clearance when cresting speed bumps etc?

Oh yeah, I was looking at all the Air ride bolt on stuff. Their strong arms with shockwaves and their 4 link kit...also with the Baer 2 inch drop spindles and brakes... It will be on 18's with 275 45 18 R and 255 40 18 F.
Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
royo

Re: ART max height

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor View Post
Hey all, I have been on the fence between springs or bags for my 64 C10. I want to lower it about 4/6 f/r but also would like to be able to tow an original mini (1800 lbs including aluminum dolly trailer).

I would like to know if I do run bags, and want to tow, what height can I raise the truck to get more tongue clearance when cresting speed bumps etc?

Oh yeah, I was looking at all the Air ride bolt on stuff. Their strong arms with shockwaves and their 4 link kit...also with the Baer 2 inch drop spindles and brakes... It will be on 18's with 275 45 18 R and 255 40 18 F.
Thanks
Well iam not real shure about it. but with bags could you just add more air. do they make a valve that works like one on a big truck. a rod hooks on the rear end and adjusts the air as it moves.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
SCOTI

You could use a RE-8 Slam or the 8"dia Firestone to get more lift. There will still be limits unless your shocks are also set up for extended travel.

I used 7"dia Firestone bags in place of coils & it worked fine towing my 18ft car hauler around. No tongue dragging issues except for on the worst of driveways (trailer dragged in the same spot when towing it w/a stock height truck).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
oconnor

being new and rather uneducated when it comes to the bags... What comes on the shockwave kit?

If I could raise it to what say a normal 4 inch drop would be then all is fine
Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
being new and rather uneducated when it comes to the bags... What comes on the shockwave kit?

If I could raise it to what say a normal 4 inch drop would be then all is fine
ShockWaves would be limited on their travel dimensions as well.

If I understand correctly, you want equal to 4" of rear drop when you have the truck raised-up or extended. How much drop are you looking for @ ride height?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
oconnor

Well to be honest, I would like a 4-5 inch drop up front and a 6-7 inch drop out back. From what I have seen of other peoples trucks.
Right now the front fender lip is at 32 inches and the rear is at 29 inches...Not really sure what is going on back there... so its hard to measure from what I have now.

I would just like to raise the front an inch or two and the same for the rear should I want to hook a trailer up to it. Just for clearance issues.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Well to be honest, I would like a 4-5 inch drop up front and a 6-7 inch drop out back. From what I have seen of other peoples trucks.
Right now the front fender lip is at 32 inches and the rear is at 29 inches...Not really sure what is going on back there... so its hard to measure from what I have now.

I would just like to raise the front an inch or two and the same for the rear should I want to hook a trailer up to it. Just for clearance issues.
Something like this?
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
oconnor

Yep but a 64 sitting on 18 inch murdoc III's from Budnik
Old 01-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Yep but a 64 sitting on 18 inch murdoc III's from Budnik
Mine is 7~8" of rear drop & I just level it out (or just a tad higher) when I hook up the trailer. This is the best pic I have w/the trailer semi-loaded. It could get more rear height but the it would have severe rake front to back or the front would also have to come up killing the alignment.

I use the ECE hidden hitch w/a 'fixed' trailer jack on the front of the trailer & haven't had any serious problems that I didn't encounter in a non-lowered truck.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-26-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
oconnor

Nice that looks like more weight right there than I would be towing. I feel much better now.
Looks like i will be going with the shockwaves front and rear with stong arms and their 4 link...$$$$ Got to eat more rice and hot dogs...
Old 01-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Nice that looks like more weight right there than I would be towing. I feel much better now.
Looks like i will be going with the shockwaves front and rear with stong arms and their 4 link...$$$$ Got to eat more rice and hot dogs...
ShockWaves & the 4-link aren't necessary & add to the cost. But if that's what you want, sounds like a good plan.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-26-2008 at 02:23 PM.