The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
thump16

fuse box

The previous owner of my new truck ran the electric fans directly to the fuse box. I had the power and ground wires to the battery burn out on monday because they were actually made for a car stereo and not a starter plus the ground only went to the alternator and not the frame.
I replaced the two fusible links at the starter as well as ran the new ground to the frame. My fans quit on tuesday and there is now power on certain spots of the fuse box. Lights, ignition, are the only thing that actually work.
My question is would the amp draw from the fans constantly on with only a fuse to protect them (which blew when the starter wire blew)be enough to ruin the fuse block or should I change the last fusible link? It looks and feels cooked or rubbery even though I'm able to still drive the truck everyday.
Where should I start or should I be looking for a new harness.

Sledge

Last edited by thump16; 01-26-2008 at 09:33 AM.
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
thump16

Re: fuse box

I guess no has ever had this problem?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
86-C10-V6
Shadetree Mechanic

You definitely can't tell from looking at the fuse link if it is bad. It usually burns out where the crimps are connected and are difficult to see when open, unless of course there was a huge current like a short circuit that blew the wire. Fuse link wire is much slower to respond to over current than a fuse. I would probably not replace the fuse link with a fuse.

The length and color of the fuse link is important, make sure you use the same color and cut it the same length as the original for it to work correctly.
You can buy the fuse link wire a most any parts store.

The wiring to your fuse box may not be big enough to handle the fan current in addition to whatever else is already connected to the fuse box.
I would recommend a relay control of some kind with the relay being controlled by power from the fuse box and the the fan power coming from a separate fuse link directly from the battery.
Hope this helps.
98 K1500 Xcab, 5.7L, 3.43 Gov-Lok
86-C10-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
thump16

I put the mechanical fan back on but the battery light comes on when I put the heater/a/c control fuse in. I am lost on that one. I don't want to have to replace the electrical system.