The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
79oldj

Air locker

I am considering putting air lockers in my 72 gmc 3/4 ton. Anyone got any suggestions on which brand to check into. I was considering an ARB but have never used any of there products. Any suggestions? Any input apreciated.
79oldj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
pumpkin

Re: Air locker

I like the therory behind it, but the people I know that do have them, are left with one tire fire, too offen. They get air leaks, or broken fittings and lines when wheeling. I prefer the basic, always works detroit locker. If my truck was more street and very ocasionaly wheeled then the arb is the way I'ld go. I go out every weekend (when my trucks not broken ) and push it to and beyond its limmits, to see what I need to improve on next.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
kszygc

I like the idea of the ected differential http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/ a little better. When it's turned off, then it's a LSD, when on, it's fully locked. Seem's to be the best of all combo's. I also don't trust air pressure that much. Lines leak too easy. I have RS9000's with in cab control and my shocks go soft within 2 minutes. And I can't seem to find a leak. Hmmm.... that just didn't sound good....
kszygc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
79oldj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
I like the therory behind it, but the people I know that do have them, are left with one tire fire, too offen. They get air leaks, or broken fittings and lines when wheeling. I prefer the basic, always works detroit locker. If my truck was more street and very ocasionaly wheeled then the arb is the way I'ld go. I go out every weekend (when my trucks not broken ) and push it to and beyond its limmits, to see what I need to improve on next.
I dont do hardcore wheeling all that much, and it is going to be more of a weekend cruiser/workhorse. I dont think I would have a problem with ripping out airlines but I was also wandering how the airlines enter a sealed differential? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by 79oldj; 02-02-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
79oldj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kszygc View Post
I like the idea of the ected differential http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/ a little better. When it's turned off, then it's a LSD, when on, it's fully locked. Seem's to be the best of all combo's. I also don't trust air pressure that much. Lines leak too easy. I have RS9000's with in cab control and my shocks go soft within 2 minutes. And I can't seem to find a leak. Hmmm.... that just didn't sound good....
I cheked out auburngear.com and that sounds like a great setup, but what method activates this locker if it is not air? Is it electric? Thanks for the input.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
kszygc

The airline goes into a hole with a threaded metal insert. See http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/arb/arb-5.htm for a visual on the differential modification.

The Ected differential is electric operated, and it requires a hole to be drilled as well.

I don't have any personal experience or know anyone who has installed either one. I just like the theory of the ected more.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
79oldj

Quote:
The airline goes into a hole with a threaded metal insert. See http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/arb/arb-5.htm for a visual on the differential modification.

The Ected differential is electric operated, and it requires a hole to be drilled as well.

I don't have any personal experience or know anyone who has installed either one. I just like the theory of the ected more.
Thanks i think ill investigate the ected but it sounds like more what i want.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
OLD SKOOL K5

Look at the OX locker! it has a handle that lets you put it in and out of lock. That way you know it is locked. The best part is that their is no air or electricity that can fail. They are the best!
OLD SKOOL K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
kszygc

Forgot all about that one. They're tougher than nails. And it follows the K.I.S.S. principle! Added bonus, another nice looking lever inside the cab!!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
79oldj

Quote:
Forgot all about that one. They're tougher than nails. And it follows the K.I.S.S. principle! Added bonus, another nice looking lever inside the cab!!
Do you know does it pull out like a P.T.O cable or is it more of a shifter that you pull back to engage? There is a picture at ox-usa.com but it is hard to tell.

Last edited by 79oldj; 02-02-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 AM   #11
kszygc

No personal experience, but it looks to me like a shifter type lever on the sites that I found on google.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
79oldj

Quote:
Unclear, do you mean the ected is tougher than nails or the Ox?
Checked out a couple of other sites with review forums and the ected is said to work very well. Some people are saying it isnt a true locker and will slip but others say it wil only slip at the point wich you could break an axle. General consesus is they work very well and are very tough and streetable. Also a lsd when disengaged is a huge plus four a daily driver, that could be driven down windy snow covered roads.

Last edited by 79oldj; 02-03-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 AM   #13
OLD SKOOL K5

It is a shift knob that sits in a small block of solid aluminum. there are two positions for the ****er, unlock to keep your differential in the open axle position and lock position when you want your differential to become a spool basically. So it is better than a detroit because in the lock psition it never locks and unlocks without you changing it. Also you can mount that shifter wherever you want.
OLD SKOOL K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
kszygc

Sorry for the lack of clarity, the ox locker is a tough son-of-a-gun. After doing a little research, the ected seems to be a variable LSD, if that makes any sense, not a true locker at that point.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
79oldj

Thumbs up Re: Air locker

Thanks for all the input has relly helped on a making a decision.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
spudly

I have ARB's front and rear in my XJ (the box looking Cherokee). I don't wheel hard every weekend and usually drive it to and from the trail. It's nice to be able to street it with the open dif on long distance trips, wheel it, then street it home.

I like the ARB's and haven't had any issues with them. The nice thing is having the on-board air without nixing the A/C. Although probably not as big of an issue with a K series since there is a ton of room to mount extras.

They require a tapped hole in the dif to fit a brass fitting for the air hose. My rear line follows the fuel line on the frame then the brake line on the dif. The front pretty much goes right up into the engine compartment. So if I take out an air line I'm walking home since I've more than likely wiped out something vital in the process.
spudly is offline   Reply With Quote