The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
BigJackDaddy

Re: Power windows with junk yard regulators

I've done it as well with recycled parts. I just walked though the parts-yard until I found a set that was bolt-in. Ended up using a set out of a Honda believe it or not.

The replacement regulator does not have to line up with the current one at all - if you're planning on replacing the entire regulator. You only have to be concerned with how it attaches to the bottom of the window.

When you take the part our of the donor vehicle, slip a piece of card stock up into the door to mark the holes for a template. Do a "trial fit" first of course, then to install:
  • Hold the window all the way up - our friend "duct tape" over the top frame works for this.
  • Making sure the regulator is in the closed position, slide the regulator into the door & attach it to the window
  • If you haven't already done so,drill the new holes for bolt, rivets, whatever - and bolt/rivet it in.
  • Wire it up

Of course this is slightly over-simplified, but generally describes the method. Up-and-down is just up-and-down.

I don't plan on buying a kit for the truck I'm working on now, either; but there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, too.

Last edited by BigJackDaddy; 02-08-2008 at 03:09 AM. Reason: I just wanted to
BigJackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote