The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
mckpaul

How to make the AC/Heat control lighting brighter..Added pics

After doing the 'chrome paint' upgrade on the cluster reflector, the dash lights up much brighter as expected. However, since the AC/heat control panel isn't part of that, it was still really dimly lit in comparison to the now really bright dash.

While I had the bezel off yesterday, I noticed the clear plastic face plate on the AC/heat control panel was removable, only held in with two small plastic tabs at the top and one at the bottom. The bottom one was easily pressed down (slightly and carefully as not to break it) to allow the clear faceplate to come out (you also have to pull the knobs off the controls). The clear faceplate has the white lettering on it, and behind the faceplate is a thin aluminum sheet painted black on one side to back up the white lettering. Anyway, once these two pieces are removed, it's easy to get to the one and only bulb. Mine was working, but wasn't clear anymore so it wasn't very bright, but even with a new bulb, it still wasn't as bright as the dash.

The clear plastic face plate is beveled at about a 45 degree angle on the right end, and the beveled edge surface is painted blue (about the same color that the back of the cluster reflector was before I painted it chrome). Makes it like a prism, so the light from the bulb shines through a slot cut in the aluminum back piece and is reflected off the blue beveled surface to kind of light up the clear plastic lens. I used nail polish remover and removed the blue paint. You have to be careful not to let any other part of the lens get polish remover on it because it will cloud the plastic. You have to work with only a slightly wet kleenex or paper towel, work quickly, kind of wipe and dry as you go removing the blue paint, only remove the paint and not let the plastic stay wet with polish remover so you wont mess up the finished edge of the plastic. It only took a few passes. Really easy to do, just remember that whatever you use to remove the paint will also melt the plastic if left on too long. Once that was done, I repainted the edge with the same chrome paint I used on the dash reflector. I had to mask if off with masking tape. I wrapped it in a piece of paper first and only stuck the tape to the places where there was no white lettering, wasn't sure if the masking tape would pull the painted on lettering off or not and didn't want to find out.

The end result it that the AC/heater control panel is now as bright and colored the same as the dash. Someone have have already done this in the past and posted about it, but if not, thought I'd share the info.

EDIT: Added some pics of what I did.
Attached Images

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*

Last edited by mckpaul; 09-28-2004 at 05:16 PM.
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:23 PM   #2
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Could you post a pic of your A/C control, i think mine is unique or something. I never see pictures of one like mine in catalogs or in other people's pics. I'll scower and see if i gotta pic of it.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
mckpaul

Sure, I'll get a pic of it when I get home and post it tomorrow. When I did my dash lamps, I tried to get my hand up there behind the AC controls and feel for a bulb socket, but couldn't do it. I knew there was a bulb in there 'cause there was light coming from there, as dim as it was. With the bezel removed, I could get my fingers back there and it felt just like a removable dash socket, but then I noticed you could just snap the faceplate off the AC control (while the instrument bezel is removed) and just pull the bulb from the front. Takes the same push in bulb as the rest of the dash. Granted, had to use some small needle nose pliers to reach in there to grab the old bulb.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
mckpaul

By the way, this may have something to do with the new server, but I made the above post at 4:21PM central time and it's showing up on my screen as making it at 9:21PM. My settings are still set to display central time on the posts.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
mckpaul

Hey cliffsta, brought pics to work of my ac controls and what I did to them, but at the moment, pics won't upload. I'll post them as soon as pic posting is working again.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
Old 09-22-2004, 01:26 AM   #6
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

cool. i've looked in LMC and Chevy Duty, and the control units they show look different than my 80 w/ AC. I know its original. Maybe its a discontinued / rare part? It still works great, i just never seen one like it.
One of the 2 bulbs behind it is burnt out, so i figure when i finish up my interior after my bday (nov 5) ill change out all the bulbs.
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
Old 09-28-2004, 05:14 PM   #7
mckpaul

Added pics to the original post of what I did.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
Old 09-28-2004, 05:32 PM   #8
78SilveradoSWB

On mine, I painted inside the cavity where the bulb sits with chrome paint, seems to help too.

1978 Chevrolet Silverado C 10
454 BB, TH400
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

yeah they changed the look slightly in 84 for the control unit, but thats basically what mine looks like. I guess i need to lay off the 'pipe.
When i have my dash apart in Nov for my birthday i have to replace one of the lights behind the control unit, its burnt out
Cardomain of the Accord
Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
84_chevrolet
Truck CRAZY!

Re: How to make the AC/Heat control lighting brighter

Hey man great mod i had great success with the dash lights. You got any pictures of the a/c control at night after the mod?
84 Chevrolet stepside, 350 with .60 over pistons, aluminum zr1 heads, doug herbert .500 lift cam, 1.6 roller rockers, elderbrock intake with a 600 holley carb, mated to a 700r4, 208t-case and 4-11 gears,33 goodyear wrangler mtrs
84_chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote