The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
slepysal

steering ? lock to lock

I am curiuos as to what your steering is lock to lock. From wheels straight , how many turns of the steering wheel to the right, and to the left?
on my 73 2wd it is 3.5 to the right and 1.5 to the left. I can not see any binding so Im thinking it may be my steering gear not centered?

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 02-05-2008 at 07:32 AM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
85X3

Re: steering ? lock to lock

I believe you have a twisted pitman shaft or need your frame straightened. This is a more common problem with G-Vans when involved in a front impact. With the wheels straight, measure the distance from Idler arm to the pitman arm in both center pivot points ( linkage and gear/frame locations ). Also check for parallel (diagonal measurement from two like locations side to side ) i.e. rad support mounts to front cab mounts. A tram bar works good.If all looks good, you probably need a new/rebuilt gear.
85X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Should be the same number from center to either end. If yer wheel wasn't clocked right for whatever reason it should still take the same number of turns, only it won't be sitting straight in the center position. 3.5 on one side and 1.5 on the other is way too huge of a difference, have you noticed if th truck needs more space to make a left turn at full lock compared to a right turn?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan D. View Post
have you noticed if th truck needs more space to make a left turn at full lock compared to a right turn?
Oh yea some times left turns can be well FUN.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

slepy, Take a look at the toe in adjustment sleeves on the tie rods. See if there is an equal or almost equal amount of thread showing on both sides of the sleeve on both sides of the vehicle. Next count # of turns of wheel lock to lock. Divide by 2 and bring wheel back to that number. Don't worry about wheel position just yet. Get out of the truck and look at the pitman arm. It should be dead in line with the center line of the truck. If it isn't, the pitman shaft is twisted. If it is, frame is tweeked. I would take it to your local Chevy store and have them try to align it. They should let you know real quick where the problem is. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
slepysal

Thanks , looks like my frame is bent !

Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

slep: FIRST thing I want you to do is try to get it aligned!!! I know it's more expensive than a regular front end alignment, but tell them you want a four wheel alignment!! Tell them you want a print out of before and after spec's. I don't have the space here to explain "thrust angle" and what that means to you and your current problem, but listen up, it's important!!! It should be "0", but never is. When you have the spec's in hand post them here and I'll get back to you with your options to fix it. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
mhicks

Here is a setup procedure for the steering......Maybe it will help. It is out of a 73 shop manual.
Well, I could only upload one of them. Send me your email address and I will send you the other three.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf steer3.pdf (157.8 KB, 58 views)
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhicks View Post
Here is a setup procedure for the steering......Maybe it will help. It is out of a 73 shop manual.
Well, I could only upload one of them. Send me your email address and I will send you the other three.
thanks I'll pm you

Old 02-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
mhicks

PDF files sent.
Mike
Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
slepysal

Thanks !!!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
slepysal

Jim , I did find out my front frame (bumper horns )are bent about 2'' to the right . I have a friend who has a body shop and can straigten it out on his frame machine.
I dont know if this will help my steering. I'll keep you posted

Last edited by slepysal; 02-08-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #13
slepysal

I also just found out that the PO had installed a tilt colunm out of a diffrent year ( the fire wall mounting plate is diffrent). Could this be installed wrong causing the mis s matched steering ?

Old 02-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #14
mhicks

I would think that if the column was replaced it would not matter. I think that if the knuckle joint was disconnected the steering wheel would spin forever in either direction. I don't think it has a stop in it. I beleive the steering box stops it when it reaches its maximum travel and that is stopped by the wheels unable to travel any farther.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #15
mhicks

Sorry, I got home late. From center to left and right I get 1 3/4 turns each way. I hope that helps.
Mike
Old 02-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhicks View Post
Sorry, I got home late. From center to left and right I get 1 3/4 turns each way. I hope that helps.
Mike
Thanks Mike ! I'll let you all know what happens