The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
streetmaster42

Need some advice or some good tips on rocker repair

I,ve got this 86 GMC cab that i purchased a few years ago, to set down on my 76 shortbed 2wd frame. I got the cab for $200 big ones, which was i pretty great shape except for a nasty hole in one of the rockers. The cab came with out any doors, so i had to get a new set. I got the dambed things hung, and let me tell anyone, what a pain in the @#@#. So i now have something streight to work off of. The problem im running into is, is my lack of skill with welding anything. I went out some time ago and got a portable mig that plugs into the 110 rec, on the wall, and it uses a flux core wire with out the need for gas. I.ve got most of the old stuff cut out on both sides of the cab once again, because when i had thiese darn rockers, and cab corners done before. The guy over laped the metal, which made it look like crap. Plus it all started to rust up on the inside, much faster than i had expected. So im gonna try it myself this time. Not sure just how to approach the placement of the pannels. The floor supports are all solid, and the floors are good aswell. Its just that the out side kick pannel is a bit rusty. I thought about putting some POR15 on them and maybe just put a rivet in the front were the fender bolts. But i can gock at it all day, but not real sure how to get started.
streetmaster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
slug

Re: Need some advice or some good tips on rocker repair

use some weld through primer on all your sheet metal front and back before you weld anything up, eastwood has it in aresol and quart sizes(i got the quart size), i replaced some sheet metal around the bottom of the windshield on my 83 about 4 years ago, and didnt use any weld through primer, and the d@mn thing rusted again. i just replaced it again last summer,but this time i used the weld through primer. then i used rust coating from eastwood(rust encapsulator). next you are going to want to get some solid mig wire(.023 or .025) to do the welding on your sheet metal. and use a 75/25 mix gas.use spot welds to weld in your new pannels or your going to warp the metal. if you have to cut out spot welds then your going to need a spot weld cutter(you can do without a cutter but its more work)and get exta replacement cutters(i ordered a cutter and not the replacement blades and broke both of the origional blades that came with the kit within a hour)any other questions you have?? just ask

Last edited by slug; 02-08-2008 at 12:14 PM.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
streetmaster42

The welder that i got is the (Lincoln Electric,weldpack 100) which doesnt use gas, it has a chart on the inside of the lid, for the different guages of metals.
streetmaster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
Damien

Flux core wire is not ideal for body repair. You are going to want to use solid wire and co2 argon mix gas.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Flux core wire is not ideal for body repair. You are going to want to use solid wire and co2 argon mix gas.
Can you explain why Damien ?

I have already installed left rocker, right cab corner and passenger floor pan with flux core and have more to do.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote