The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
shortchev

opinions on dropping a 77

Hello Guys ,
I am new to this forum (was a Impala ss forum junkie forever ) sold all my cars and bought 4 trucks , go figure . Anyways I have a 77 c10 that I have dropped with a rear flip kit , cut springs ( 1coil) and spindles (bell 2 inch). The wheel and tire package I have is Boyd Evolution 17x8 on front (255/40/17 tire) and 18x9.5 rear (275/40/18 tire) Thing is , I just dont think its low enough and dont like the look . I would love to bag and 4 link the truck but the budget dont allow .I was thinking maybe using shackles and hangers in the back, is this possible with already having a flip ? I have stock rear springs in (none removed )
Also on the front I was thinking of Z ing the frame .What would be the pros and cons of the Z and what would be the best amount to Z 2-3-4 inches ? thinking of just using front bags and schrader valves .

Any opinions on the wheel and tire sizes ?
A few questions , I know . Thanks In advance, Be patient I am new here , just discovered this place and I have alot of questions . Pete
shortchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Slammed '87

Re: opinions on dropping a 77

Hey. I ran my '87 for a few years with a 7/12" static drop (see pic). Front 3" spindles and 4" (cut 2) coils Rear flip 5", two removed leafs 4", and blocks 3". I would highly recommend NOT doing this tho! I did this only as a temp drop until i bagged it. I hit everything everywhere and ended up changing the lower A- arms 3 times. The rear was ok, but i had a huge step notch aswell. If you are on a budget i would suggest 3" spindles and bags on shraders for the front. Removing a few leafs in the rear is fine as long as you have the clearance. There are lots of options, and depending on what your plans are for the truck there are better ways than others to go. For example if you plan on building a show truck some day, it's better to invest what money you can now in the PROPER suspension components instead of redoing it a million times like i have lol.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
shortchev

Thanks for the reply , well my trucks will never be show trucks , I believe in drivers . I have lots of parts that I bought in a big deal , plus three trucks . 1 plow truck 4x 4 , 1 that i have listed above thats hot rod black ( not primer) I would love to lay frame with this one . also another original truck .
So i am not opposed to taking the grinder and welder to a frame or 2 . I have been searching around and have learned alot from this forum . cant seem to find anything on the trans crosmember after Zing the frame , I am asuming it would also have to be raised . would love to see a pic . Nice black truck by the way .
Thanks in advance to anyones help .
Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #4
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

I did a static drop on my 79 burb which was a flip kit and 2"shackles in the rear 3" spindles 1" springs with 1 coil cut. I drive it everywhere and rarly bottom out with a 27" tire in front 30" in the rear. My ride height is about 4 1/2" in front. it rides good & handles good I wouldn't go any lower in the front without using bags. when I ran a 25" tire in front it started bottoming out. that 1" of ride height made a big differance.
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
shortchev

How do I post pics ?
I think alot of my problem is that my tires are too small ...darn and they are new too . I have 255/40/17 on 17x8 on the front ( 25") and 275/40/18 on 18 x9.5 on the back ( 26.6 ") I have a guy interested in my Boyd Evolutions , maybe I should sell them and move up to 20s , or sell the tires and go bigger . how about a taller tire on the front and back ? decisions decisions , I had the wheels/tires left over from my Impala ss . Maybe I will have a huge sale , sell a bunch of things , bag it , z it , 4 link and 20s .
Then I will get the look I am after .
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
GMBowtie79

you can get it to the ground without Z-ing the frame if you want to lay rocker then look into a dropmember by porterbuilt street rods. it's a bolt in alternitive to Z-ing. Nathan, the guy who makes them is a member of this forum and he has given alot of information in his threads. alot of people here are very impressed with his product if you see any replys by porterbuilt check out his profile to find his threads. I would post a link but I haven't figured out how to yet maybe someone could help and post a link for me. thanks also check out KP componants.com they have the dropmember and a bolt on cantilever rear kit thats pretty trick for these trucks. Check out the "it's home" thread on the 73-87 pickup message board, it's on the second page right now.

Last edited by GMBowtie79; 02-12-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
50'sBurbanman

another thing to think of is if you are going to use the truck. if you put anything in the back of a static lowered truck your back en will probably drop. if you want to go low and still use it you can level out the truck by pumping more air into the back.
50'sBurbanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
shortchev

I doubt the truck will e used for hauling anything . There are alot of well engineered products on market today , But I just dont want to spend $5000 right now on suspension . The Porter drop is very cool and I would love to have one . Z-ing the frame just requires my welder , some steering u-joints and my brain . I hope to post some pics of my trucks soon , How do I post Pics ? I must say after coming from the Impala ss forum , This Forum is also Awesome and full of knowledge , Hat off guys .

Pete
Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
GMBowtie79

Iknow I'm in the same boat I'd love to do all that to mine but I'm building an engine right now so I'm hoping to bag it next year we'll see how that goes. you could still get it to the ground without Z-ing the frame but if your set on doing it go for it. If you know what your doing it will come out nice and you'll get it on the rockers. post some pictures and start a build thread so we can see how it's coming and you could also get some ideas from others here.