The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2003, 09:17 PM   #1
72gmcshorty

New carpet install ???

I have a new carpet I just took out of the box. It is very creased and was wondering how to get the crease out. I can't just lay it oustisde because it's too cold and not sunny enough. What can I do. Should I glue it down or just lay it down, mount the seat and the chrome trims on the floor and call it done? If I glue it down, how much prep work is need on the cab itself? I guess I cut the holes for the highbeam switch first. What about those two little round ball things that the 69 style gas pedal sits on (mount on the floor) will they stick out high enough through the carpet? Will the carpet interfere with the gas pedal? Sorry lots of questions now who can answer them all?
Old 01-18-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

I put new carpet in my truck a couple of years ago. It seams that the warmer you get it the easier it can be to put in. I didn't glue mine, and I haven't seen a need to after 2 years. I would stretch it out on the floor of the cab and try to get it positioned as close as you can to where it will permanently be. Then, once you are sure of the positioning, mark and cut the hole for the dimmer switch. Once you have that cut out and the little plastic grommet thingy in place and the carpet is where you want it, re-install the chrome sill plates, and make sure everything is tight and looks good. Then, what I did was feel around and find the gas pedal mounting balls and make a small cut with a razor blade to let them pop through and then mount your pedal. You shouldn't have any problems with pedal clearance. If you have a behind the seat tank still, now is the time to ride to your nearest walmart and pay about $8 for a roll of cheap carpet (if you can find it to match, mine was black so there was no problem) and carpet the front side of your tank, especially if you have buckets. (I do, so this was a must). Re-install your seat belts and seats and ride. Later and good luck............Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:43 PM   #3
kaycee

LET IT SHINE

U don'thave to have it out side put it in the living room or whereever and let the sun hit for a few hrs. or place it by the heat vent (house)and let it warm up.It made a he^& of a difference when I installed 1 in my other truck.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:58 PM   #4
Brewski*

I did mine last year with carpet on the gas tank for the buckets, kickpanels, and door bottoms. It is best to do like the others say and get them pretty warm to get the wrinkles out. I also put down the sound insulation everywhere. I used a light shot of Super 77 spray glue from 3M it helps get it in place without movement of anykind while installing. Work from the back of the cab forward while glueing it makes things easy~!
Attached Images

Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote