The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

np 208 input shaft ?

I am trying to swap tcases in my 85 k20 and found a 208 to swap in but it was behind a th400. It looks like the input shaft is smaller in the new case, my question is can I swap the input shaft from my tcase (sm465 tranny)? Hope that makes sense, thanks for any input ha ha

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
edman87
junk collector

Re: np 208 input shaft ?

Yes, the input shafts can be swapped. But, if you have never taken apart one of these t cases, Start with the junk one first. I cannot remember in detail how to split them the correct way without everything falling out. There are quite a few pieces that will scatter on the floor if you just open it up- i personally know this.
Try taking apart the junk case first, IIRC, just split it enough to get your fingers in there and hold everything in place and pull 1 half of the case off leaving everything in the other half. I cannot remember which half to leave everything in though, it has been a couple of years.
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Cochino:Remove the front drive shaft yoke then stand the transfer case up with the input side down. Remove the tailstock first then the case 1\2. Everything will stay in the forward case 1\2. Case halves do not split easily. Carefully inspect the position of everything as you go. Seeing as this is your first time, take pictures with a digital camera at each step to cover your ass. If you run into a problem you can e-mail me and I'll give you my number. Good luck, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
edman87
junk collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Cochino:Remove the front drive shaft yoke then stand the transfer case up with the input side down. Remove the tailstock first then the case 12. Everything will stay in the forward case 12. Case halves do not split easily. Carefully inspect the position of everything as you go. Seeing as this is your first time, take pictures with a digital camera at each step to cover your ass. If you run into a problem you can e-mail me and I'll give you my number. Good luck, jim
sounds right to me, input side down. I couldnt remember.
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote