The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2002, 10:37 PM   #1
TheMattMan

Post Corvette Rear suspension on a 72 c-10

Hi guys....I am looking to replace my rear end with something from a corvette for the independent suspension, rear end, disc brakes etc... Is there any years that this swap is easier to make with and has anyone done this that can give me some pointers. I am doing this on a 72 chevy C-10. Thanks, Matt
Old 05-19-2002, 10:52 PM   #2
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

hi matt, theres alot i want to say regarding this, but wouldnt want to see it here, IMO i think you should just save trouble and get a vette, i guess i just like these trucks in stock form, wish i could help, wont be a bolt in swap of course, better fire up the welder now

good luck!

------------------
Randy- Lincoln, IL
randy@ccaonline.com 2177353230
*many GM parts bought, traded, or sold -am parting out: '81 Cutlass Supreme and 84 SE Firebird T5 3.73

current fleet: -71 C-10 350/CH465/3.07- assembling currently
-90 Cavalier
-84 Z28
-'90 Corsica 3.1L- selling or parting out and '82 purple Trans Am- storing away *Paint is overrated* © RSS Enterprises 2000

Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I think I would farm this kind of job to a pro...if I were to do it at all.It'll never handle like a vette, and with the IRS, it'll never haul like a truck, nor launch good at the strip.
The trailing arm set up is one of the best possable.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
E-mail longhornmail@yahoo.com
My name is Andy...not Randy...I'm in Ohio...Not Illinois...close enough?
Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 11:27 PM   #4
69 longhorn

I have seen one that was done by a local shop,very nice work,& lots of fabrication! This truck has Vette susp front & rear. Im not sure on the yr,but think the parts came from a mid 80s Vette? I think i agree with the otherguys on this........save your bucks,it wont handle like a Vette,& that kind of work is time & materials! .........69
Old 05-19-2002, 11:55 PM   #5
Alexis
Member since 2000

actually there a company out there that pre make indendent rear suspsesion. let me see if i can find them

------------------
Britney: 1970 2wd K/5 Blazer (gots to go)
Jessica: 1967 2wd SWB (not yet decided on furture)
Helga: 1972 4x4 3/4ton LWB (going to go too)

AIM:Alexmart1
Mountain View, Cali

Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 12:24 AM   #6
TheMattMan

Hauling isn't important because I am not going to ever haul anything in it or behind it...no hitch even...this is strictly a street/cruise/show truck. Its for looks and performance not work. I need better rear gears to handle the cam that I am putting in it and figured if I am going to go that far I might as well put a whole rear end under it. Not sure of the what rear gears would work with this truck. Fabrication isn't a problem either...I have huge work areas (3 very large metal buildings) with welders and fabricators to help me with the conversion. I know it wasn't going to be a bolt and go but if one suspension worked better than the other i figured it would help. Thanks for the suggestions--please give more. Matt
Old 05-20-2002, 01:26 AM   #7
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Art Morrison Enterprises provides the complete corvette suspension for any vehicle...they can provide a frame that you can just bolt your body onto...they have it all and very high quality fabrications too. There is board member here that works there...but find them at www.artmorrison.com.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 08:48 AM   #8
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I don't get why you would want to but here is my take on this. If you were interested in placing the best high performance independent suspension from a vette in your truck then get one from a newer car. Skidpad figures don't lie. The newer vette suspensions are better period. Weight distribution is an issue. If all your weight is out front your handling will suffer no matter what suspension your running.

------------------
66 Chevy C30 Stakebody Dump, PS,PB, 327cu in
71 Corvette Coupe 454 4 speed
79 Chevy 4X4 (Tom's old truck)

ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 09:16 AM   #9
Low69CST

You need to find a vette and do some serious measuring. I think the lower control arms mount to the stump, which means if the vette rear track is too narrow for your truck, then you'll never get the camber to work out right. I saw a 50's model at the NSRA nations in louisville with vette rear under it. I swear each tire had at least 10 degress of negative camber. I couldn't believe somenoe would leave it like that. There are alot of company's making independent rears for street rods. You may be better off calling them because i'm sure they can adjust to the rear track that you'd need.

------------------
'69 CST Short fleetside
Lowered, 400 small block, 700R4, 4 wheel disc brakes, front & rear sway bars
See my truck at: http://www.geocities.com/low69cst/
Student at the University of Kentucky.
Feel free to message me on AOL, SN- SS95ZQ8
My Dad's projects:
72 Short Fleet 4x4 Chyenne Super
72 Long Fleet 4x4 Chyenne Super
Both 350 autos restored original
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 09:19 AM   #10
slam33

New or old won't make that big a differance. Your going to spend a zillion dollers trying to get it in. It's not going to just swap in. Your not going to get the skid pad figures that a Vette has no matter what you do to the thing. It might improve the handling a bit but remember your pushing a big heavy brick around a corner, not a light wieght tuned racer. Be sure to have lots of cash and time to fix it every time it breaks becuse your trying to load it up with wieght and your going to overstrees the whole assembly. I know you see guys put this stuff on show trucks but thats what they are, SHOW TRUCKS, not daily drivers. You think these guys use those things after spending $60 thou and 4000 hrs. building them. The half shafts will have to be longer which means the struts carring the outer hubs will have to be made. Anything can be done with enough cash but will it work right for the useage you want. I would go with a HummVee rear end, myself.

------------------
71 basic C-10 350. The only option is the rust.No nothing on it, but thats all about to change. <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:07 AM   #11
SCOTI

For looks the vette rear is readily available & Turner Ent. @ one time was creating a bolt-in/minimal-fab required set-up but I haven't heard how far along it is lately. Another idea is an aftermarket independent rear based on the f**d 9" that you should be able to find in most street rod mags.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:45 AM   #12
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

This months Custom Classic Trucks have an article on this.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:34 AM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Doing a HummVee deal would be worse, they have geared hubs that make life a nightmare.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
E-mail longhornmail@yahoo.com
My name is Andy...not Randy...I'm in Ohio...Not Illinois...close enough?
Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote