The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
BIG CTY
Between the earth and the sky

I'm thinking of getting these lowering springs for my 66

YES, THESE - CLICK HERE!!

Now on to my questions...I have drums all the way around. With this setup will I need t change the shocks? I do NOT want to do that. I only want about a 2-3 inch drop. I know this says 4 (for the rear I ASSume) but I'll hope for the best. I really want a "plug and play" ECONOMICAL lowering solution. It doesnt have to be slammed, and it doesnt have to ride like a Lexus. I just want it to be a tad lower to ease some wheel gap. SO do those springs look like they will do the trick? Anyone used this setup before? I was going to buy the springs from LMC but this was a better deal. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: How can blocks LOWER my truck? Forgive what may seem like a stupid question, but I want to examine every non-cutting option. I also read that I can get Jeep coilovers. Are those plug and play? From what year and type of Jeep? They can be adjusted so that might be a good option for the rear. Any coilover option for the front or is that a no-no?
1976 Dodge Tradesman B200
2002 Nissan Maxima 6 speed
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500

Last edited by BIG CTY; 02-20-2008 at 09:34 PM.
BIG CTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: I'm thinking of getting the lowering springs for my 66

Blocks lower the rear by raising the rear housing in relation to the trailing arms. Since the springs seat between the frame & trailing arms, raising the rear w/a block equates to more drop. A good thing that also happens is the shock length is not affected.

I've heard of people swapping Jeep springs into these trucks (much like a/g body springs will swap in), but haven't heard of any "coil-overs" that are a direct swap.

How does the price on those springs you linked compare w/what ECE offers? What kind of customer service will you get from the e-bay choice? I know many guys on this board have had very positive dealings w/ECE & they could answer the questions you're asking now. Can that e-bay source offer the same service?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-20-2008 at 10:30 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
BIG CTY
Between the earth and the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
How does the price on those springs you linked compare w/what ECE offers? What kind of customer service will you get from the e-bay choice? I know many guys on this board have had very positive dealings w/ECE & they could answer the questions you're asking now. Can that e-bay source offer the same service?
The eBay springs are from CPP, which was recommended in a previous thread. They are $189 for all four. ECE's price is $224 for all four. I couldnt care less about that price difference IF ECE makes a superior product. Both plces have been recommended on the forum though. Thanks for the info on the blocks!
1976 Dodge Tradesman B200
2002 Nissan Maxima 6 speed
2004 Mercedes Benz CL500

Last edited by BIG CTY; 02-21-2008 at 01:02 AM.
BIG CTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CTY View Post
The eBay springs are from CPP, which was recommended in a previous thread. They are $189 for all four. ECE's price is 224 for all four. I couldnt care less about that price difference IF ECE makes a superior product. Both plces have been recommended on the forum though. Thanks for the info on the blocks!
I have products from both companies on my trucks. Either way is a good choice. There have been claims that CPP's CS is lacking these days but I've personally never had issues.

If your handy w/the tools, look in the FAQ tech section for the thread started by 'TX Firefighter' about making your own lowering blocks. If not, each of the previously mentioned companies offer the drop blocks in 1, 1.5, & 2" drops.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-21-2008 at 01:02 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote