The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
The Big Green

Will these 20's fit and tuck?

I came across some 20's for my 67 Chevy fleetside that I like. They are 20x8 1/2 on the front with 4 1/2bs and 20x10 on the back with 5 3/4bs. I love these wheels but will they tuck? I kinda new to big wheels on a old truck, well my old truck and I don't know what will fit. This truck has had good ole 15's for the past, oh, 41 years...lol. It time for a change but I need help. I was looking at some wheels a couple days ago that I liked but they where 20 and 22's and I don't know how that would look. I thought about 18's and 20's but I'm thinking about just doing the 20's all the way around.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Will these 20's fit and tuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green View Post
I came across some 20's for my 67 Chevy fleetside that I like. They are 20x8 1/2 on the front with 4 1/2bs and 20x10 on the back with 5 3/4bs. I love these wheels but will they tuck? I kinda new to big wheels on a old truck, well my old truck and I don't know what will fit. This truck has had good ole 15's for the past, oh, 41 years...lol. It time for a change but I need help. I was looking at some wheels a couple days ago that I liked but they where 20 and 22's and I don't know how that would look. I thought about 18's and 20's but I'm thinking about just doing the 20's all the way around.
What's your definition of 'tuck'?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
The Big Green

Will they tuck up behind the fenders. This thing will be bagged and body dropped and I don't want to lay it out and hit the wheels on the fenders.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #4
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Based on what I learned with my truck and what I have read on here, I think those wheels will fit. The backs though may be pretty close to the inside of the bedside with a 20x10 5.75" BS wheel when aired down. As I understand the 67/8 rearend is slightly less wide compared to the later rearends, so you have more room with yours.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
68GenIII

Pretty much youve got to do some work to the fenders to get your truck to layout. Tire size is a factor to consider when trying to get her down as well. Its kind of not if the tires will hit its when. How low are you wanting to go?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Will they tuck up behind the fenders. This thing will be bagged and body dropped and I don't want to lay it out and hit the wheels on the fenders.
What does the front suspension consist of?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
The Big Green

Well, to answer your questions about my 67. Its stock height at the moment with 2in lowering blocks on the back and the front is all stock. I bought this when I was 16 and 11 years later it just seems like I need to start changing things up, its what the poor old truck would want, well ok maybe what I want now that I'm not a poor little teenager any more. I really want to bag and body it but I want the wheels that I like and the offset I want. I have another frame that I'll be working on while I drive and show this truck. I really like the look of a deep dish wheel, maybe like 4in or so in the back and the front doesn't matter. The back I can tub and cut up or whatever it takes to get what look I want. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Well, to answer your questions about my 67. Its stock height at the moment with 2in lowering blocks on the back and the front is all stock. I bought this when I was 16 and 11 years later it just seems like I need to start changing things up, its what the poor old truck would want, well ok maybe what I want now that I'm not a poor little teenager any more. I really want to bag and body it but I want the wheels that I like and the offset I want. I have another frame that I'll be working on while I drive and show this truck. I really like the look of a deep dish wheel, maybe like 4in or so in the back and the front doesn't matter. The back I can tub and cut up or whatever it takes to get what look I want. Thanks for the help guys.
The prob I see will be that back-spacing. 'Tucking' a wheel is difficult enough w/the track width these trucks have & thats using a wheel w/5+ inches of back-spacing. I see a MII front end or a PorterBuilt Dropmember in your future if you're dead set on certain wheels w/certain BS (unless you have the ability to narrow some a-arms & section a front crossmember).

The rears would 'tuck' fairly easy w/some creative trimming of sheetmetal & mini-tubs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-21-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
The Big Green

I don't know anything about wheels that will tuck on this truck. If it would be better to hold off and bag it first and then get wheels then I'll do that. I do know that my 15's that are on it now fit way back behind the fenders but the rears are also 8 inches wide but with a 10 in wheel I need to go 2 inches back to be the same on the outside and I do know that I have 2 inches to spare right now. I may just wait and bag first.