The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
Hittman

Tearing it down

I am getting ready to switch the body of my C20 to a K20 frame. Having never done this before I don't know exacly what I am in for. I have loosened all the mounting bolts and removed most of the bed bolts in preparation. My question is to all who have done a frame off restoration - just how heavy is a cab on one of these? I plan to remove the doors and maybe the bench to lighten the load a little. I don't have an overhead hoist or any other means that I can think of to lift the cab. Can 4 guys manage to lift and carry one of these over to the another frame? I know it takes a good 4-6 dudes to lug a long box around - I was just wondering if the cab is any heavier or just more awkward?

I have the 4-speed tranny and transfer case already mounted in the 4x4 frame so I am hoping by just removing the floor hump we will be able to lift the cab up and over the tranny and set it down. Am I nuts or am I going to need an external lift of some sort? Any ideas from you guys will be most helpful.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
nplocoman
never finish start another

Re: Tearing it down

If you have the doors off 4 people can do this without a problem.
nplocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 AM   #3
Mint68

I helped lift a cab out of a bed of a truck for a friend of mine one time. We used four people and two 2x4's through the windshild and rear window openings to lift it. It wasn't real heavy, but needless to say one of the boards broke. So if you use boards make sure they are good and strong; not old dry ones found by the side of a garage.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Hopefully the gas tank is fairly empty to help lessen the weight. If not, consider yanking it out first.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Hittman

Alright guys, I will take your word for it. I plan to remove the doors, bench and drain the tank in an effort to lighten the load.

Any other helpful hints in this effort? Once the front clip is off there should only be 4 mounting bolts, the wiring, heater hoses, linkages and the steering shaft right? It looks to be a fairly simple transfer if I can just determine the logistics in my driveway/garage.

Thanks again guys.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

I lifted mine using a cherrypicker. I just securely strapped a 4x4 piece of wood to the boom of the lift, wrapped towels around both sides, and with the front clip completely removed, the passenger side ground strap removed, and the four body mount bolts removed, I put the boom into the truck and pinned it in the corner closest to the wing/vent window and lifted.

Note the towel in front of the lift lever to prevent damage to the door...(I've done this twice with no ill effects, but be careful and proceed at your own risk - I am not responsible! Myself and many other members have done it this way):

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
cdowns

you'll need to disconnect the parking brake cable and also the brake lines at master cylinder/also would be a good idea to pop the glass out
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Dean

I've done this several times and all of my K20s and K30 have had the body swap. Nothing like starting with a rust free body and a restored chassis.
Attached Images

Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
Dean

Was much easier on the last one now that I have a lift. Makes it a one man operation too.
Attached Images

Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
Hittman

OK Dean, now you're just showing off! LOL That would be great to have a lift for sure. One could sure save a little on beer since you can do it yourself. I like the idea of utilizing a cherry picker Shifty. I recall reading it could be done this way - your picks really show what needs to be done.

Yeah, I guess I forgot I need to disconnect the brakes of course and to not forget the grounding strap!

Will see what gets done over this weekend. The weather is supposed to get to a balmy 40 I hear. Time to get to work!

Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
Hittman

By the way Dean - that's one very sweet green/white Cheyenne you have there!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #12
Premium72

eat your wheeties!
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote