The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

WIW Blazer door, I need one!

I don’t have one to sell, I need to buy one! Here is my question, what would you expect to pay for a nice OEM drivers side 72 blazer door. By nice I mean no rust other than surface and no dents other than a small ding here and there. I have all the hardware and latches so that isn’t a big deal, an empty shell will do.

I have been looking for one for a few months now and I am about to give up and just get a nice truck door and cut it down (probably should have done that in the first place). So what should I expect to pay for one of them in the same condition? I need a 72 mainly because I want the little extra screw brace below the vent window. With fuel prices I don’t want to drive farther than the Texas state line to find one. Keep in mind, that is about a 500-mile radius from San Antonio. I have seen a wide variety of prices on line, just wanted to get ya'lls opinion

To the Moderators…I posted this here to get the most feedback from the blazer crowd. Feel free to move it to the classifieds if you have to. Thanks.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
MiniD

Re: WIW Blazer door, I need one!

It's difficult to find ones that haven't had someone cut them out for speakers, but I've seen them sell for $50-$75 for doors without rust. I'm reffering to truck doors here... blazer doors are near impossible to find.

Last edited by MiniD; 02-23-2008 at 05:57 PM.
MiniD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Big Chief

I had zero luck finding Blazer doors. I found a very clean set of truck doors and cut them down. The guy only wanted $100 for the pair - virtually no rust. I almost felt guilty getting them for that cheap. They are easy to cut down and look great. I called every 67-72 truck for sale in my area and asked if they had any doors. Most guys wanted about $100-$200 per door. Good luck!
Big Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
28buick

The only difference betwen blazer and truck doors is an extra reinforcement plate at the latch. When I redid my 72 I found a new in the box factory 72 truck door. Included were factory instructions on where to cut the door to make it a blazer. I did find that I had to do some massaging of the door pillar by the vent window after removing the wiindow frame. After cutting the frame it sprung a little but nothiing that couldn't be knocked back into place.
28buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28buick View Post
The only difference betwen blazer and truck doors is an extra reinforcement plate at the latch.
Also, the extra striker plates that are towards the upper part of the door jamb. I have the striker part that screws to the tub but I plan on getting the door striker and the latch plate from a boardmember/online. Or there are a FEW junk doors around here that those parts are still good on. Thanks guys.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
65-72 chevytoys

Blazer doors were made out of factory truck doors and then cut down, then like the others said added striker plates. So you won't find a factory blazer door, just cut down truck doors.
2004 Corvette Z16 #770
Wish I had not sold 72 blazer
65-72 chevytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:52 AM   #7
Huck

True blazer doors, especially those made after 69, all tend to have the inner to outer reinforcement screw just below the vent window. This also has a "dimple" in the inner panel and some have a plastic gromet that the screw goes through. The idea here is to reinforce the strength of the doors as they tended to separate over time. Most 72 trucks have is feature. There has been lots of debate over this feature--when, where, etc but just about every original blazer door i've seen has it and very few pre 72 trucks have it. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
JUSBLAZ

Sent you a PM
JUSBLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65-72 chevytoys View Post
Blazer doors were made out of factory truck doors and then cut down, then like the others said added striker plates. So you won't find a factory blazer door, just cut down truck doors.
Yep, I realize that, I just figured I would search for one for a while to save me the time of cutting and gathering the blazer striking plates. Also a blazer door should have the bracing screw. To be perfectly honest, I haven’t found a “nice” 72 truck door around here, at least not a driver’s side.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Yep, I realize that, I just figured I would search for one for a while to save me the time of cutting and gathering the blazer striking plates. Also a blazer door should have the bracing screw. To be perfectly honest, I haven’t found a “nice” 72 truck door around here, at least not a driver’s side.

Well aern't you gonna tell them all what you bought?

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrux View Post
Well aern't you gonna tell them all what you bought?
Yeah, me and Jtrux went to a salvage yard yesterday. Back in the back we found "part" of a Blazer. Everything behind the front seats had been removed along with the winshield frame. But it did have a drivers side door. I tried to talk myself into just buying the door but it was too far gone; too much rust on the bottom and the top hinge plate was ripping out. It did have the striker plate and latch plate so I got them. I guess I am officially in the market for a good 72 truck door to cut down.