The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
tommypic

Smile Frt Disk from 71 to 67 ?

I have a 71 donor I was going to get the disk off the frt and I was wanting to know what all I need to take off and replace ( like ball joints , etc ) on my 67 . can I just unbolt the frt crossmember and use the whole thing on my 67 . I need a V8 mount too which is on the 71 too . donor has ps which i want to use too , dont know why the PO of the 67 removed the ps . Pics would be nice too . Thanks All
tommypic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Frt Disk from 71 to 67 ?

The front crossmember will swap. You may have to dimple the frame on the driver's side to clear the powersteering, check the FAQ Index in my sig, I think there's a writeup on it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

If you use the 71 suspension when it comes time to redo the brake stuff get the parts for a 72. The 71 is a one year only caliper which is a lot more expensive over the 72. Just a little info I can give you.
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
tommypic

I was going to put new calipers on it the old ones are rusted so I need to get 72 when I trade them in . will the 72 fit on same mounts as 71 ?
tommypic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
chevy one
Chevy One

I am doing the same swap. I just robed the spindles, inner/outer tie rods, backing plates, calipers & upper ball joints. All parts were new, looked like someone started a build and gave up. All cost was $60.00, "Deal”. I bought new lower joints, Moog because I wanted quality lower joints. The lower joints handle most of the stress. The only part I did not rob was the center link. I will have to go back for it, because of different size tie rods ends;did not know this at the time. Board members show me the light on this this. If you swap cross members you will have to drill some new holes. There is a post here that will show you this. I'll see if I can find and post the link.for you. good luck on your swap.
03 Monte Carlo
I'M NOT OLD, JUST A CLASSIC!!!
chevy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Matt_ks

I also belive that the lower control are is of a differet size as well, so i might recomend that u keep this also. in answer to the question as to weather the calip will fit a 71 mount, i do belive that it will also u will find the from I belive 73-87 frt susp will work also. just a thought
Matt_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
shifty
Questionable

i am also in the process of doing this.

all trucks from at least '67 through to '87 have front crossmembers that are an absolute direct swap. BUT - here's the catch: you should swap the steering components from the new crossmember, and, if you want to do this ideally, unbolt the entire crossmember with the control arms attached from the donor truck, then bolt it onto your truck, and transfer the steering setup over afterwards.

a lot of people recommend using the upper and lower control arms from the newer trucks for a couple of reasons: 1) the u-bolts that hold the lower control arm to the Xmember are thicker on the 71-87 trucks. 2) the upper control arm bushings are steel on our trucks, but rubber on the 71-87 pickups. 3) the control arms are slightly beefier on the newer trucks.

as for the power steering conversion FAQ thread, i wrote it, find it here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=216886

BUT - another but - please pay very close attention to the year ranges given in the part numbers shown in my thread - be sure you get the right stuff.

good luck with your swap - it's really not that hard, you'd be amazed (I certainly am) at what you can take off a 73-87 truck and put on our 67/68 pickups.

last thing to warn you about: the ball joints on 67-70 pickups are different, and so are the tie rods. don't try and reuse these parts.

replacement calipers (remanufactured) are $20 at your local parts store. rotors are about the same price. don't hesitate to replace these and other parts when doing the swap

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 02-25-2008 at 09:16 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote