The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
rscam

Side mount spare bracket question

I have a short bed 69 GMC that I am converting to a side mount spare. My question is about the brackets. There are 2 on the inside of the rear of the fender that attach to the bed side. There is 1 in the front that attaches to the frame and the fender at the step. The 1 that would go from the fenderwell lip to the bedside obviously can't go there now because of the spare tire cutout being in the way. Is there a different bracket that I need or is there not one due to the rigidity of the cutout?
rscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Side mount spare bracket question

rscam,
bless you for converting your rig to a side mount stepside!!!! We must stick together! some people like it, some don't. I for one have grown to like it. however, looking in the door rear view mirror is impossible!!

I just went out in the garage and looked at my '69 Chevy. Here's the findings. There are two supports located at the rear of the fender as you have. As for the front, there is only one, and it's in the location you described; low, supporting the step to the frame. Then, you will notice a support tab at about the 10 o'clock position on the inner lip of the fender lip. NOTHING goes there. I am assuming that the cutout does add to the fender's rigidity......

shameless plug!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 02-23-2008 at 12:51 AM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Here's a photo I saved, not my truck, but my bracket is mounted the same, and years ago, when my son had a '66 short step with sidemount, his was mounted just the same, too.
Attached Images

68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
68shortstep

Because my tire is larger than stock, only one of the three rim bolts would catch, and I had to cut the other two off the bracket. The tire sits very slightly off-center in the fender cutout, because of its' size. But it looks OK, I guess. And the one bolt does a more than adequate job of holding the spare firmly in-place.
Attached Images

Last edited by 68shortstep; 02-22-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

68shortstep,
your rims must have a deeper offset than 4.5"? my 15 x 8 rallyes utilize all three lug nuts.

I need to get a locking lug nut on the spare however. it would be REAL easy to perform a 5 finger discount on it....

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 AM   #6
68shortstep

Thinking back on it, it's two things:

Somewhat bigger tire diameter than stock, so the wheel/tire sits slightly forward toward the cab from being perfectly-centered into the fender cutout, & more importantly (which I forgot, earlier), the spare mount bracket was set up from the factory with the bolt spacing for a six-hole wheel, which was what originally came on the '68 truck.

My axles are all changed-over to 5-hole wheels now, so no way would the three bolts on the spare bracket have ever fit. One of the bolts was close enough to being correct & would work, so I didn't have to cut them all off & weld on one or more new ones for the five-bolt rims.

As to a "five-finger discount" & having to worry about losing a wheel without a locking lug nut, I guess I'm spoiled & naive' compared to the rest of the country, from living here in the Ozark hills as long as I have. I never give a thought to anybody actually stealing from me.

Life in Mayberry is good.

Probably shouldn't say this, but: Sometimes I go off & leave my doors unlocked at my house, and I don't always take my ignition keys out. My car is sitting outside my office in the parking lot right now, with the keys in it.

'Course it's too damn cold today for any thieves to be out. Only us worker-bee types come out in this kind of weather. The deadbeats are all huddled-up close to the fire on a day like this.

Last edited by 68shortstep; 02-23-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
rscam

Thanks for the pics and input folks. I bought this truck 2 years ago $600. I wasn't to fond of the GMC grille but the price was right. The guy who sold me the truck had probably 30 Chevy, GMC trucks and Suburbans and Blazers in his yard. All 67-72. He told me that there weren't too many GMC shortbed stepsides out there which just looking around seems to be the case. I have never seen one yet with a sidemount spare. That was the reason for the swap. Also my dad had a 63 when I was a kid that had it. I will try and post a few pics of in the next few days. I have already painted it and have bought all the parts to put i back together accept the front bumper.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
rscam

Spelling correction on my last post "except" the front bumper.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscam View Post
Spelling correction on my last post "except" the front bumper.
Accept was a cool band back in the days.....

*****"you got your balls to the walls"*****

Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

68ss,
I might be a bit paranoid as well. I look at my truck and try to figure out what someone could walk off with and rectify it. I think I need a locking gas cap to.... see, I'M PARANOID!! A locking hood latch would be nice too, then maybe an infrared interior movement detector....... ARG!!! I'm going insane!!

Seriously, I have had my dd broken into so many times, I leave the doors unlocked.

I grew up in Southeast MO, out in the Mark Twain National Forest and I left my doors unlocked most of the time as well. To bad I have to worry so much now.

By the way, I have always liked your rig. Stock looking with just enough goodies added.......

Last edited by tcb-1; 02-23-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
rscam

UDO Von Dirksnieder "MAN"
Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscam View Post
UDO Von Dirksnieder "MAN"
OMG! haven't seen his name in a looooong time.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #13
rscam

Don't know if I should be ashamed or proud that I knew his name.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

your are a metal hero my friend..... be proud.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Here's a photo I saved, not my truck, but my bracket is mounted the same, and years ago, when my son had a '66 short step with sidemount, his was mounted just the same, too.
This is my truck and the bars you see apper to be original , but I believe there ar 2 missing or cut off . They go from the top lug in the triangle to the top of the bed rail .
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
This is my truck and the bars you see apper to be original , but I believe there ar 2 missing or cut off . They go from the top lug in the triangle to the top of the bed rail .
yep, all the supports are correct for the spare mounting plate, but there are also supports that mount to the top of the bed rail.

they overbuilt that freakin' support! I can hang my 240lbs off of it and it doesn't move a fraction of a mm!!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Yea , looks like they hacksawed them off for bed rails or smething .
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #18
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
68shortstep,
your rims must have a deeper offset than 4.5"? my 15 x 8 rallyes utilize all three lug nuts.

I need to get a locking lug nut on the spare however. it would be REAL easy to perform a 5 finger discount on it....
I have spoked wheels, & being the red neck that I am, I just took a length of heavy chain, ran it thru a naugahyde sleeve & chained the spare to the side mount.
Crude, but effective.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote