The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Longbed68

Carb Leaking Gas

I have just done a carb rebuild on this Rochester for my 235. I didn't have the engine running before the rebuild, so I can't vouch for its previous performance, but now gas leaks slightly out of the gaskets. I suppose it might be a stuck float or something, but I'm not convinced of that. I've rebuilt carbs before and never had any problems. I have retightened all the screws and bolts with no change. My main question is, is it okay to put gasket sealer on the gaskets? I know that sometimes you're not supposed to use sealer, so while I feel like this would probably fix the situation, I wanted to ask. Thanks, Dan
Longbed68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
55dude

Re: Carb Leaking Gas

dude, if your float was stuck the carb would run over out the bowl vent tube. what you are experiencing is a "WARPED" body that is very typical to a rochester B series carb. putting sealant or cranking down the bolt will cause you more problems. go to www.stovebolt.com and do a search: carbking,carb,rochester and you will find the fix for this problem. it involves taking carb apart putting it on a baking sheet with weight on top in heated oven(somewhere around 250 deg.?) for? minutes. what you will do is check it with straightedge every so often. if your gasket rips and need new kit here is napa # 2-5158 under $15. good luck!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Longbed68

Re: Carb Leaking Gas

After further investigation, the gas isn't leaking from the gaskets, it's leaking from the pin that holds the lower butterfly. Apparently it's gotten worn over the years. I've already got an idea or two of how I might resolve the issue, but does anyone else have suggestions? This must happen somewhat frequently on these old carbs. Thanks, Dan
Longbed68 is offline   Reply With Quote