The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
ChaseDale3and8

Replacement Distributor

The distributor in my 86 K10 has gone bad. I have burned up 2 brand new ignition modules in it, so I believe that it is the problem with my truck not running right. I have started looking for a replacement. My truck has the ESC, but I believe this one that Jegs has will work in it anyway since it will just be a matter of not using the ESC anymore, and will work like the older style.

I was going to try to find a good used one, but since I would be spending money on something that might give me the same probleem again I think I will opt to buy this new one if they are any good. Has anybody here bought one of these, and if so how good are they? Are they a remanufactured one or just a brand new aftermarket replacement? ...Joe

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...55778_-1_10679
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Replacement Distributor

You can use that without any problems. I relaced my ESC with a Mallory.

I don't know if that distributor is good choice, but I was planning to buy one for my '37 coupe. Let us know what you think if you get one.

Slonaker
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
ChaseDale3and8

I'm going to buy one and try it. It's a whole lot cheaper than a remanufactured one from O'Reilly or Auto Zone although the waranty won't be as good. I think the warranty is only for 90 days or so on this one. A used one around here is around $50 and since this one is around $90 with free shipping, I think it will be the best way to go. ...Joe
Old 02-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
ChaseDale3and8

I ordered my distributor on Tuesday and it got here on Thursday. I'm planning to install as soon as I get a chance when the weather gets good enough to do so and will post the results. ...Joe
Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I hope it works well for you, and not just because I plan to buy one. TIA for posting your results.

Slonaker
Old 02-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

I did the same thing with a Summit HEI after having the same problems as you. It went in really easy and I haven't had a problem since.

I hope your experience is the same.
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
ChaseDale3and8

Well guys, I finally got a warm day to change my distributor out. It only took me about 15 minutes to do it. It runs much better, but I have found another problem....the carburetor.

I may either need to buy one or have mine rebuilt. Sounds like it has a really bad vacuum leak, (whistles very loudly) and doesn't want to run past an idle without trying to stall or die. I may try to spray some carb cleaner around it while it's running to see if I can locate the leak. I put my hands over the top of it while it was idling and the engine sped up. Would be nice if it was just a bad base gasket, but it never is that simple for me.

I've been watching evilbay for a replacement carb, but I think that I can get a remanufactured Edelbrock from Jegs for around $200 and an electric choke kit for another $50 which seems to be less than what they sell for on evilbay, and I'd get a guarantee with it. If anyone knows a cheaper or better route to go, let me know. I'm always open to advice! ...Joe
Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I have had a leaky base gasket and a leaky EGR gasket. Make sure that stuff is good before you go spending a bunch of money.

Thanks for reporting back on the distributor.

Slonaker
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
I have had a leaky base gasket and a leaky EGR gasket. Make sure that stuff is good before you go spending a bunch of money.

Thanks for reporting back on the distributor.

Slonaker
Not a problem. Thanks for the advice on the carb. I think I'll spray some carb cleaner around it while it's idling and see what happens. I may just go pick up a new base gasket in the morning since it would be fairly cheap, and see if that helps or not since the gasket sems to be the original and is over 22 years old now.

Bobbo said he will come over Sunday to help if I can't get it figured out by then. Nice to have members around here willing to help for sure! I'll post when I figur something out. ...Joe
Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

An unlit propane torch will work the same. Its a lot less messy to work with than carb cleaner.

If you have a vacuum gauge that will help you set the carb. Then you can set the timing with a light.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
ChaseDale3and8

Unfortunately I don't have a vacuum guage. Maybe Bobbo does, I'll ask him when I see him later today. I took a look this morning at my carb. Looks like the top gasket on the body has been leaking some gas. Probably has a vacuum leak to match. Sprayed some carb cleaner around it while it was idling, and looks like the base gasket is bad as well. Picked up a new one at O'Reilly this morning.

Talked to dad and he says he has an Edelbrock carb that works real good that he isn't using that I could try. He also has the matching manifold for it. He says that the carb won't fit my truck if it has the EGR valve (which it does) because of clearance issues, and I'd have to put the Edelbrock manifold that he has on along with the carb.

I don't want to tear that far into it just to get it up and running right again. Is there a way to pull the EGR valve off and block it off without having to pull the manifold?

It's been a LONG time since I've torn into one of these old small blocks so my memory is kind of fuzzy. I want to go about this the cheapest and easiest way that I can until I get my 350 up and running. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this old 305 only to pull it out for the 350 later on. ...Joe
Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #12
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

You can use an EGR spacer to keep the EGR or take it off and use a block off plate.
MylilBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 AM   #13
ChaseDale3and8

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if I can just go to O'Reilly and buy a block off plate or where else might I look for one? ...Joe
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #14
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I think they would have them. Might try the where the chrome valve covers and stuff are.
MylilBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote