The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
1971 K10 shortbox

1969-1972 Two tone paint layout

I am looking for a reference website for the layout of the paint.
I am looking to have my 1971 K10 painted in the next month or so and would like to do a two tone with white and black in the original paint style. But I need to know how far down the body each color should be.
1971 K10 shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
71 super

Re: 1969-1972 Two tone paint layout

Are you doing the deluxe two tone or standard two tone? If standard the white breaks at the cab- seperated with trim ring at rear of cab an cowl line on windshield posts, window frames painted white door skin painted black. For deluxe two tone the second break is between the upper and lower moldings. White top, black hood and area above upper molding, white to lower wide molding, black below lower molding. Upper part of tail gate will be black and everything below upper gate molding will be white. Good to see this color combo is becoming popular. I have 71 super that is black/ white deluxe combo and 72 4x4 super that is black/ white standard two tone.
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
1971 K10 shortbox

Re: 1969-1972 Two tone paint layout

Thanks 71 super,

I am going with the two tone deluxe. My first memory of the 69-72 trucks is when I was about 10 or so. A guy at a local body shop had one with the deluxe two tone, it was love at first sight. I told my dad that I was going to have a truck like that someday. Well I am now 30, and last year I bought 3 of them as a package deal. Two parts trucks and the k10 to restore. The one was definately a parts truck so I removed everything that was usable from it. The second parts truck was just to nice to be a parts truck. Its a 71 lwb no rust anywhere, a/c cab. So I was thinking why not restore two of them, after all two is better than one. I bought them here in michigan from a guy way out in the middle of no where, he was a Gm muscle car guy, but still just an old country boy at heart. We drove out to his farm and in his barn was a 72 chevelle ss convert, 67 chevelle ss HT, 71 nova ss, 57 chevy wagon all spotless and these three trucks. He said that he bought the trucks for him son ( who is around my age) hopeing to spur the exciment in the classics but it didnt happen. After 4 hours I chatting about old cars and trucks I told him I would think about it. I left, and then returned 10 mins later, and he just started laughing. He said I remind him of himself, because of the passion I had for these old rigs. We agreed on a price ($4500 for all 3). We are now good friends and share email back and forth, still chatting it up. I am now ready to have the k10 swb painted and want to get every possible detail right. I also plan to return to his house once it is done, witch is why it is so important to get this right. I want him to look at the work I have done and for him to feel a little pride in knowing that he let these trucks go to a good home. Also I want this great old truck to shine in the glory that it deserves.
1971 K10 shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote