The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2003, 03:07 PM   #1
ablack

'72 GMC Suspension setup and vendors

OK.... so after looking around previous posts and asking a couple of questions myself, I think I know the setup I'm going to go with, but I want to double-check this setup and also get some info on vendors.

I have a '72 GMC w/leafs and I have decided to go with a 2.5/4" drop using the 4" drop leafs, 2.5 drop spindles and I'm guessing from what I have read that I should probably go with the shock relocators for the rear? So that brings up the questions...

1) Does this sound like a good setup to consider?
2) What about front shocks? I am assuming if I use a 2.5" drop spindle I will want shorter shocks? (I don't remember where the top mount is off the top of my head, so maybe this is a non-issue)
3) What vendors would you go with. I was thinking of Early Classic Enterprises since they are pretty close to home, but I've found the springs about $50 cheaper elsewhere. Are there any vendors you guys would avoid?

Thanks for the help guys... I'll get this thing back on the road yet...

Alan
Elk Grove, CA
ablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
PloreOSU

I can help with the front shock question. The drop spindle doesn't change your suspension geometry at all. It just moves the wheel up on the suspension. The springs and shocks should stay at their stock height. You might want stiffer springs and shocks to offest the loss of travel though. I would suggest changing the springs at the same time as you do the spindle change because its a lot of work to get that far and not much more to swap the springs at the same time.

I'd suggest getting a GOOD set of spring compressors to get the front springs out. I lowered my 75 Olds Cutlass (same front end style) and had the cheap ones which doubled the time it took to install the new springs.

You'll need shorter shocks in the back, but I'm not sure if you'll need to move the shock mounts for a leaf spring or only for a coil setup (I'll have to find out myself if I do this).

I've ordered some parts from GMC Pauls and had good luck. They left out part of my gas tank order, but shipped it out the next day with no hassle. Also, they seem to have the best prices of anyone I've found.

*edited poor english*

Last edited by PloreOSU; 01-21-2003 at 06:11 PM.
PloreOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

You can't go wrong with Early Classic, but there are some real good vendors on this site like GMC Pauls, Wes @ Classic Heartbeat, Mothertruckers, Tim Christianson (sp) etc. Check out the main page for the board.

Sounds like a good set up too.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
Alexis
Member since 2000

ECE all the way, sometime when buying "cheaper" item you get for what you pay for....I got all my suspension form early Classic, i have not had a single doudt. i hear alot of good thing about the board venders, i say check them out.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote