The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Hair

3" drop coil spring install question

I just installed a set of 3" drop coil springs under the front of my 1971 GMC. I noticed that after I put them in and bolted the spindles and everything back up that the new drop coil springs are loose in there. When I have the wheels lifted off of the ground the new drop springs are loose in there and just clanging around. I have about an inch of play between the coil spring and the "A" frame. The old standard springs were tight no matter if the wheels were off the ground or not. When I set the truck back down I have to be sure that the new springs are lined up with the hole in the "A" frame or they could bind up in there. When everything is back on the ground its all okay but they fall loose when the wheels are lifted off the ground. Is this how they are supposed to fit? It seems that if I were to go over a small hill or something and the front end was to get light that these springs could actually fall loose and bind up in there some how. Is this how 3" drop springs fit? If it's not right, I don't see anything that I could do to change it. One last thing, I do not have the center link and tie rods put back on yet (I took it all out and painted it). When I put the center link ,tie rods, and idler arm back in place will that hold it up more and prevent the springs from being that loose?
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Re: 3" drop coil spring install question

When you use a shorter spring it will do that. What I done was take a couple of "U" bolts and clamp it down to the lower A arm to keep them from ever bouncing out or flopping around when the truck is jacked up.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Hair

Is this common practice? Does everyone use the u-bolts or do most people just let them flop?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
hotrodhomi

they are not going to fall out unless you are getting air and if that is the case you have bigger problems. Just be careful when letting the truck down after jacking up.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
sneakysnake

I think most people just let it ride. Im like you what if I hop a RxR track at 60 and lose a spring.LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
fatboys69

I am currently using 3" drop springs in mine and they are loose until you attach the shock to the control arm and upper mounting point then it will pull the control arm up enough to hold the spring in place. I know it freaked me out when I installed the setup originally. Mine is a drop kit form CPP and i came with shorter shocks to work with the drop springs.
Attached Images

fatboys69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
Hair

Okay, I bet that is the deal then. I am running standard shocks. I might bust them, but I was going to try them anyway. Cause those drop shocks cost like a million bucks. So I bought a set of new ones for $60 a set. I'm going to see if I can get away with running those. Has anyone tried standard shocks with 3" drop springs? Will it work?

Last edited by Hair; 03-06-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:09 AM   #8
royo

Your not going to be happy with these. you would be better off cutting a coil or two off your stock springs . with springs this short you will have to cut the bump stops. but thats just me
Old 03-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
sneakysnake

I made mine, but they make shock relocators that move the upper mount from the middle to above the frame.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #10
scrapmetalart

My 67 has 3" springs & new stock shocks. it rides rough, but i don't think it will get any better with shorter shocks. 3" springs are short & stiff...
Old 03-06-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
RoadRacer
Tire Shredder Extraordinaire

Be aware that if your truck is a manual transmission you may have to relocate or reposition your clutch z-bar linkage to use shock relocator brackets. If you have an automatic it's a non-issue.
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote