The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
buckaneer

Question Help a newbie with 700R4

Ok, I have an inline 6 and a 700R4. About to marry the two together, but how can I check the transmission. I can move the inner shaft but not the outer one. When I put it in park the other end stops moving. If I put in what I think would be neutral, the shaft still turns. It no point does it make the shaft turn in the opposite direction. Thanks for the help.

Buck
buckaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

Re: Help a newbie with 700R4

welcome Buck, your hand cannot produce hydraulic pressure. The best way to check your tranny without tearing it down is to pull the pan and inspect the filter and fluid for friction material or metal chunks. does it smell burnt? is the fluid red or is it dark and blackened? when you put it in reverse, a valve opens and dircects pressure to the reverse clutch pack, locking the clutch. with that clutch locked it rotates a set of planetarie gears that rotates the output shaft in reverse. 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th work on the same principles, valves open and close and direct pressure to lock the clutch for the next upshift. autos are kinda funny sometimes, if they are 2 quarts low, they may not work at all. overfill..... still dont work. if it is clean inside and the filter checks out, in theory, it should work. a smoked trans will most of the time show some sign that it is smoked. smell and fluid condition can tell you alot if you know what to look for. most 700R4s have a magnet in the pan. it WILL be covered in a grey kindof sludge, not to worry. it is normal and its from the steel disc's wearing to the friction disc's. when you reinstall the pan, spend the money for a fresh filter and gasket. flatten out the bolt flange on the pan with a hammer and dolly. dont over tighten the pan bolts. also, use good quality fluid and a big cooler. heat is what kills a 700. if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Texasdeere

What kind of carb set up do you have on your 6 cylinder? How are you planning on hooking up the TV cable?

Just wondering...

Last edited by Texasdeere; 03-06-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
buckaneer

Thanks for the help. The fluid looks good. I will pull the pan and check it out. I hope to have the engine and trans together and mounted in the truck by this weekend.

As far as the engine goes, it's a stock I6 250 from 72 to 79. I'm not sure about the TV cable yet. I'm taking this one step at a time. There are more parts not on the truck than on it. So I have some time. What options have you explored?
buckaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
greg64

Buckaneer, Tim64 on this site is doing the same thing as you. So, assuming you still have the 1 bbl carb, you're both needing a mounting system for the TV cable.

I'm curious how well the 250 pulls when the 700 is in 4th. I had considered this swap for my 77. What rear gears are you running?
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
Texasdeere

I have a 2 bbl on my 283 V8. I think I will have to fab something up unless I switch to a 4 bbl carb and intake. They make brackets for all the common 4 bbls but I wanted to keep the engine as stock as possible.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote