The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Software to control airbags?

I am eventually going to be putting a "carputer" into my truck when I get it built (MP3car.com) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any software that would control the airbags? Would be pretty sweet to tap a button of the carputer and be able to control your bags from a 8 inch LCD in you dash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjYIs_9k2yI

I didn't know if this was the right board for this question. Just figured you guys using bags might know.

Last edited by tdave00; 03-06-2008 at 03:42 PM.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Software to control airbags?

not to be rude, but what is it you want to "control" ?? they go up .. they go down ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

LOL...then you could have up/down controls on the screen . Isn't their some kind of auto leveling feature too (my grandmothers old Cadillac would auto level each time you started the car I think)? Or maybe when you have a load on the rear axles. Just thought it would be neat instead of having to mount switches inside the cab.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

The computer will need some kind of analog output... it can be done with a serial connection, so make sure you plan more than just USB for the computer IO. Once you have a serial connection, a relatively simple program could be written for "switches" that would signal through the serial port, which would need relays attached so you can get battery voltage out to the valves. Start cobbling and maybe you can get rich on the idea. However, my thought on this forum (old trucks) is that we're probably not going to be as excited about carputer-driven switches as, say, the mini-truck guys.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Actually, having said that... you could use USB for the analog output, but serial is a little simpler in that you don't have to define a device class for the USB signaling. With serial, you just signal out.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
However, my thought on this forum (old trucks) is that we're probably not going to be as excited about carputer-driven switches as, say, the mini-truck guys.
It's just mixing a little new with the old. Just like a late model engine swap.

You're probably right about the serial out. It should be easy enough to find a programmer on freelance to to write up a little software application if I ever decide to do it. Thanks for the input.