The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
mvons

Horn burnt out

Hubby took the time (because it was above 50F, no garage here) to multimeter volt test and when he pushes the horn button, we hear the relay click and the green line to the horn shows just under the 12 volts and zero when horn button isn't pressed. He tested the horn at the battery and nothing, thus horn burnt out. I just ordered cheapy horns off Amazon so if this problem continues we aren't out $16 a horn.

The only thing we did different this time is we put in a new horn relay and mounted it to the floor pan, where before this horn burnt out, the horn relay was just dangling. Does anyone know if that was our problem and the horn relay has to be mounted/grounded to the chassis? We are hoping that was the problem and the latest horn won't burn out.

I know the last relay was probably fine because we heard it clicking. The horn worked 3 times, the truck was driven 3 times for only 20 minutes - we won't talk about gas consumption on a small trip to the dump in the winter. So hubby replaced the horn relay and this time mounted it and now will replace the horn this weekend (darn winter sun goes down too quick).

72 K20 chevy

Last edited by mvons; 02-20-2008 at 02:16 AM.
mvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Re: Horn burnt out

Welcome to the board!
If were getting 12v at the horn when you pushed the button then it sounds if all was working but the horn itself and needed to be replaced, changing the relay was probably overkill.Be sure the horn is grounded well or it wont work.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
cdowns

chances are the horn is good and you have a bad ground// where the horn mounts on the radiator support is the ground so you need to take the horn off clean the metal with sandpaper to get a good ground and there should be a ground strap between the radiator support and the frame rail its also a good idea to spray some wd40 into the trumpet end of the horn to lubricate the diaphram

good luck and welcome to the board
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
mvons

This morning I was up early and heard the horn sounding and raced out and unplugged the horn relay. The relay was cold, heck the temperature outside was 24F. I'm glad I was up. Now I vaguely remember waking up one time and wondering what idiot was allowing their car alarm to go but I fell back to sleep. I now think that was our horn and that burned the horn out. I know this problem was posted elsewhere with solutions, but I wanted to update our problem and how the horn might have burned out.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
skokie

I have the same issue going on with my 68 but have put that on hold until I find out why my engine is running like garbage.

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote