The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
83burban

Factory or Owner Power Brakes - 62 c20

I am doing a frame up on a 62 c20. When i bought the truck a couple months ago, it had the special combination clutch and brake master cylinder on it. The clutch was blocked off with a fitting, and the Brake Master Cylinder went to what I believe is a brake booster, looks similar to the one in the picture. The line then exits and follows the stock route for the rest of the truck. Was there a factory power brake option for these trucks, or did some one pull one off a car and put it in the truck themselves. I have never seen one of these before on anything, and only found 2 pictures on the net - fit 1950's Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles.

I don't have a picture of the actual unit - it is being rebuilt. What is something like this worth, I don't plan on selling it unless it wont work for me. That leads me to my next question.

I am running 4 wheel disc brakes - Is there a proportioning valve built in. If not then i will run an adjustable proportioning valve for the rears.

Thanks - Kurt
Attached Images

83burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
factorystock

Re: Factory or Owner Power Brakes - 62 c20

Two factory types are the heavy duty and the regular power brake.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
83burban

thanks for that factorystock.

Is there a built in proportioning valve in this or does it just add pressure?

Is there any real value to this part, I know most people go with firewall mounted ones but someone might want it for an original restoration.

Thanks - Kurt
Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Here are a couple of factory power brake boosters I have on my 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks. The '60-'66 Chevy trucks were equipped with drums on the front and rear, therefore they did not have a porportioning valve.
Attached Images

LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
83burban

Those trucks look great. I am more interested in information on the other style booster though, as that is what my truck came with. I would like to use it with my disk brakes and was thinking that it hopefully would work.
Single output Master Cylinder -> Booster -> T-Valve -> 1 goes and splits again for the front and for the rear I would add a rotary style proportioning valve that later splits to the rear.

This should work right, considering that since they will be 4 wheel disc brakes?

What is something like this worth, I am not opposed to going the firewall mounted way at all, just liked the look of it and haven't ever really come across one before? Of course I need cash for the powder coating so if this would pay for that I would definitely think about selling it.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Kurt:

I don't believe that piece of equipment to be factory, whereas I have not found anything in my collection of manufacturer/dealer literature showing it as a power brake option available on the '60-'66 Chevy C/K 10-30 Series trucks. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the subject.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote