The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #51
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Easy way to remove tires from wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griesel72 View Post
i have one of these too ... but you have to mount it
sounds kinky.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #52
special-K
Special Order

Do guys really dismount tires by running over the tire?I`ve tryed and the tire and wheel just flip up.I`ve tryed pulling one truck up on one side of the tire/wheel and driving over the tire.I just had two trucks sitting on one tire,too close for comfort.I just pay the $10,cheaper than body work.
There are manual bead breakers.Cheap enough for the occasional user.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #53
Dragster66ss

Yeah,, we really do it with the race car slicks. Keep in mind this is in a situation where it's between rounds and time is of the essence. Two guys holding the wheel/tire... one directing, and one driving the crew-cab duramax up onto the sidewall. All in conjunction with pry bar and BFH.

I know it sounds really crude, but it works for us when it's "go-time".
67 Chevelle 427/m22 (My street ride)
3 1966 chevy II drag cars (fam racing operation: pop, lil-brother, and myself)
Dragster66ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #54
shifty
Questionable

ok, so here's an update, and putting a rest to the tires thread.

i went to the local pull-a-part on a mission for two things:

1) Find another wheel. Success. There was a 1976 Caddy or Olds that had the exact same style of wheel on it. $6.25. CHA-CHING!

2) Find a 73-87 swaybar and clamps. Double-score. Got two 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" diameter swaybards in super shape with one full set of clamps and one half set of clamps. $22. CHA-CHING. None of the bushings were good, but I can get new bushings for $20 at the store, and new hardware cheap too. I'm following Tx Firefighter's swaybar install thread with the same ECE mounts, and hoping it will work on a bagged truck link

On my way out, there was some old coot in a shed next to the Pull-A-Part who had "TIRE SHOP" printed on a big sign. I stopped by to chat with him for a sec. Asked what he'd want to take the tires off my wheels. He said, "$3 each!" I asked if he kept the tire, he said, "hell yeah, bah!"

So, I haggled him down to ten bucks for all four wheels, then took the $40 I saved and hit the "hubcap heaven" shop on the way home and got a brand new set of trim rings

So, got some sanding/primer/paint to do today and tomorrow, then I gotta get some baby moons, and I'm good to go

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-11-2008 at 12:58 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #55
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Good deal Shifty.

Glad it worked out.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 AM   #56
shifty
Questionable

BTW - thanks to everyone for the conversation on this topic. Looks like several people learned something.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #57
Sillyoldman

So, I haggled him down to ten bucks for all four wheels, then took the $40 I saved and hit the "hubcap heaven" shop on the way home and got a brand new set of trim rings

You talked down the tire schredder guy? Poor guy is eating manifold heated pork & Beans for lunch, and you talked him down? You 'Da Man!

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 03-11-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 AM   #58
shifty
Questionable

We got into chatting about his S10 that he stuffed a TBI into, it was a nice truck, too! I started talking to him about what I was working on, and we chuckled a bit, yucked it up. That's when I said, "Hey boss, how about I do four tires and I'll give you ten bucks". He didn't really care. I reckon he's actually making a good penny working there anyway. Besides, he only took cash and I had to drive around for 45 minutes to find an ATM that would read my card (the stripe was bad), so ... in the long run, it probably cost me $12