The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
jlaird

schrader valve question

So I'm planning my air plumbing and want to put a schrader valve at each bag for emergency situations. I'm wondering where it exactly needs to be located though to be effective. I'm thinking it has to be between a bag and the valves, however wouldn't you need a manual ball valve between the schrader and the electric valves? The reason I ask this is because say for instance a dump valve malfunctions and is stuck open. The bag wouldn't be able to be filled manually unless there is a shutoff in the air line between the schrader valve and electric valves. Follow me? So it would go bag > schrader > ball valve > electric valve.

Second unrelated question: Does the check valve go between the tank and valves?

thanks fellas!
josh
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Slmd92DIME

Re: schrader valve quesion

Hhhmmm... i just use a shrader valve on my tank to fill it up just in case I would have a problem with the comps. If you dump valve would happen to stick open just smack it with a wrench a few times it will close. LOL For the check valves im not sure I have never ran them

Petitioning *No Regrets* MD/WV
Slmd92DIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
SCOTI

What about using a piece of line w/the schrader attached but don't install it in the system. If you have a failure, just disconnect the problem line & attach your 'emergency' piece & air it up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
PrerunnerRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
So I'm planning my air plumbing and want to put a schrader valve at each bag for emergency situations. I'm wondering where it exactly needs to be located though to be effective. I'm thinking it has to be between a bag and the valves, however wouldn't you need a manual ball valve between the schrader and the electric valves? The reason I ask this is because say for instance a dump valve malfunctions and is stuck open. The bag wouldn't be able to be filled manually unless there is a shutoff in the air line between the schrader valve and electric valves. Follow me? So it would go bag > schrader > ball valve > electric valve.

Second unrelated question: Does the check valve go between the tank and valves?

thanks fellas!
josh
question 1
Sounds good, it only take a little bit longer to plumb in the scraeder and isolation valve, the key is doing it the way you stated, and being able to completely isolate the system downstream of the electric valves. This will save alot of headaches IF the electric valves should ever give you problems.

question 2
If i remember correctly, the check valve goes between the compressor and tank, to stop the tank pressure from trying to backfeed through the compressor.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrerunnerRob View Post
question 2
If i remember correctly, the check valve goes between the compressor and tank, to stop the tank pressure from trying to backfeed through the compressor.
Yes, this is accomplished by the check valves that come on all Viair compressors.

However, I think you need the check valves between the tank and valves also. With the valves that we use, back pressure keeps them closed. If the tank pressure falls lower than the bag pressure, the bags will deflate if there is no check valve between the bag and tank. This could happen from a compressor failure, pressure switch failure, etc.

I just wanted to verify the above. That's why I asked the question.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
bedsled71

yep thats what happend to me once.. had to drive about 4 hours at really low speed because my control arms were about an inch off the ground.. sucked
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedsled71 View Post
yep thats what happend to me once.. had to drive about 4 hours at really low speed because my control arms were about an inch off the ground.. sucked
Have you modified your plumbing at all to prevent that from happening? If so, what?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
PrerunnerRob

I had totally forgotten about the pressure differential requirements to keep the valve from opening. So you should need a check valve between each fill valve and the tank, in addition to the compresor check valve.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

I have check valves between the compressors and tank and also between the tank and valves, that way if the air leaks out of my tank, it doesn't leak out of my bags. That way when I drain my tank, my hand isn't being squished!
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
bedsled71

what i did was got a check valve between the tank and valves, carry and extra pressure switch and have schrader valves hooked up to T fittings so if i have to, i can put those into the bags
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedsled71 View Post
what i did was got a check valve between the tank and valves, carry and extra pressure switch and have schrader valves hooked up to T fittings so if i have to, i can put those into the bags
sounds like a plan!