The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
jaredstillwell

Cleaning up my frame soon...

Hey everyone, I've seen some very nice projects on this site. The advice and ideas are quite helpful to me; this is my first restore.

I have a question about my frame. I am nearly down to just the cab and frame, alont with the motor left on my frame and I am wondering what the best way to clean my frame of all the years of dirt and such? I dont have the option of taking my frame anywhere at this point. However, is it possible to use a pressure washer to get most of this unwanted gunk off my frame? IF so, what other steps might I take so I can lay down a flat black frame paint? I'm not looking for a show quality frame by any means, I just want it cleaned up some.

ANy ideas would be great! BTW, I borrowed an old stick welder for a problem I had with my carriage bolts on my bedsides and bed that people had recommended previously and I think you for that. A grinder also came in handy!

Take care.
jaredstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: Cleaning up my frame soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredstillwell View Post
Hey everyone, I've seen some very nice projects on this site. The advice and ideas are quite helpful to me; this is my first restore.

I have a question about my frame. I am nearly down to just the cab and frame, alont with the motor left on my frame and I am wondering what the best way to clean my frame of all the years of dirt and such? I dont have the option of taking my frame anywhere at this point. However, is it possible to use a pressure washer to get most of this unwanted gunk off my frame? IF so, what other steps might I take so I can lay down a flat black frame paint? I'm not looking for a show quality frame by any means, I just want it cleaned up some.
Well, you have options. Which one is best for you depends on what equipment and space you have to work with.

If you're limited in tools and space, but have a basic drill or grinder as well as the time and energy- you can do it "old skool" with wire brushes/wheels, scrappers and lots of Simple Green.

If you have more advanced tools like an air compressor and / or pressure washer, along with a nice gravel driveway or undeveloped field- you could use a dry sandblaster from the compressor or a sand/water slurry through the pressure washer. I think both kits can be had for under $100.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
jef5150
Inline 69

i used wire brushes,wirewheels,putty knives,flat screwdrivers(tight areas).Everything and anything handy,to scrape out the dirt.Wet down the frame took powdered laundry detergent and threw it all over the frame and let it sit for a while hosed it off.then i just sprayed the frame /rearend with gloss black.Its not "show quality" but i think it looks "ALOT" better!

jeff
Attached Images

jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
jaredstillwell

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a couple grinders ive been using to strip the paint on my body panels, not using a grinding wheel of course. I am very limited on space in my one-car garage, but I am making the most of my space by hanging the parts and pushing the truck out of the garage when I need to work on it and wheelin'er back in when I'm done.

I think I'll try some wire-wheels and a pressure washer when it gets warmer out. I'll just throw a bunch of towels on the driveway to keep thinks less messy. I'll report back in a couple weeks with my progress. At this point I have nothing but time, and everything but money! I'm in it for the long-haul though.

This is such a stress-reliever for me.

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
jaredstillwell

btw Jeff, your frame does look much nicer that way. I think mine is in about the same state as yours was before you put the work and paint into it. THanks for the photos!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Chris4x4Gill2

I basically used the same method as Jeff did. I took off the bed and sprayed everything down with a strong degreaser from a squirt bottle (empty 409/windex type bottle) I let it soak for a bit and then took the pressure washer to it. This got off alott of the gunk. After that I used putty knives, screwdrivers a wire brush and a wire wheel on my drill. Just whatever could get into a certain area. after that I used the degreaser and the pressure washer again. Let it dry and hit it with the rustoleum.

Sorry I dont have pics but it basically came out the same as Jefs
Chris4x4Gill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would suggest you go to a cheap tool store HF/NT and get a cheap tarp.Just fold it with the gunk inside and toss it when you finish.Another alternative is plastic drop cloths.All the dry crap can then be floded/rolled up and carried away before the scrubbing begins.Might make for easier clean-up.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
68 short step

looks good..
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

I did a lot of what was said above too. I had 4 X 4 pieces of plywood laying around so I used those to catch all of the grease and stuff. 3" wide cold chisel, putty knives, 5-1 tools, screwdrivers, etc to scrape off the grease. Once the entire frame was done with those tools I let it dry in the sun for a week so it wasn't smeary. Next came simple green (full-strength) with an assortment of scrub brushes. Step 3 involved a drill with wire-cup brushes and small and large wire brushes. Step 4 was hitting all of the large, flat surfaces with a 60 grit flap disk on a grinder. I wiped everything down with mineral spirits and then painted.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242380
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Cyclone44
Step Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I would suggest you go to a cheap tool store HF/NT and get a cheap tarp.Just fold it with the gunk inside and toss it when you finish.Another alternative is plastic drop cloths.All the dry crap can then be floded/rolled up and carried away before the scrubbing begins.Might make for easier clean-up.
That's a great idea..Thanks PanelDeland and welcome to the board Jaredstillwell
Cyclone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
odog

Knotted wire wheel. Worked great on my 1st frame. Crimped wire wheels work ok but not as good as knotted ones, and the crimped ones fly apart a lot faster. And at the risk of sounding like an old mother, wear safty glasses of some sort, cam't even begin to count how many wires I have pulled out of my legs and arms from wire flyingoff the wheels.

Goos luck
Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
jaredstillwell

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the help...Cant seem to say that enough as a complete freshman. I aspire to provide other peeps in my position some day with my 2cents. I've got a great list of "things to do" going here. My thanks to all of you; Chris, PanelDeland,Dingfodgy,Sequoyah,odog,jef5150, and thankyou for the welcome Cyclone44

In regard to my "2 cents worth," if anyone is in need of any photography ideas or specific detail on settings etc; for their vehicles, I would be more than happy to get you on the road to great photos of your good lookin' trucks. Night, day, whatever. That's one thing I know a fair amount about and love teaching.

Take care guys!

-Jared
Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #13
jaredstillwell

Oh, and if you want to take a look at my photo site sometime if you're interested, its http://www.jaredstillwellphotography.com

I havent done many updates lately and have very little vehicle photos on there. If you're in the area, and you want a good photo of your ride, I'll take care of ya of course free-of-charge after mid June or so. Im not selling anything here btw.
Take'er easy!