The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

little cranking power, sometimes none?

New battery, cables look to be fairly decent but I have very little cranking power. Went out to start it the other day and it wouldnt crank, so I changed the ground wire from frame to the alternator bracket and it started up but still didnt have much cranking power but worked for a few days.

Tried starting it up again tonight and nothing no crank at all and when I turned the key off it appears that I let the smoke out of somthing. I did notice the strap from that is usually hooked from firewall to head is attached to the exhaust manifold? Besides changing the cables does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 03-07-2008 at 08:32 AM.
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: little cranking power, sometimes none?

Check and double check all your grounds, and look close at the bottom side of your positive cable. I had one that split and severely corroded once that looked perfect from the top.

Have you checked output at the alternator? It could be working on the low side but not the high side. That will cause slow or low charging creating enough power to run, but not enough to start.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
mhicks

May sound like a stupid question but is the battery charged up?
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
cochino12
It followed me home?

went to parts store before work and grabbed a couple cables, replaced the negative cable (the smaller gauge wires fried) and figured I'd try it before I got too dirty and it fired up just like it was supposed to. Works great now, I'll replace the positive side when we get some decent weather

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 03-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
LpStreetKing

Question Re: little cranking power, sometimes none?

Yes i am kind of having the same problem with my truck also. Saturday i was at a light and i had my stereo cranked up and when the light turned green i gunned it. Well right as i did that my truck died on me so i pulled over and popped the hood. My friends dad hooked up some sort of wire where there is a interchangable fuse in it. I fried the fuse and replaced it with a new one, and then as i tried to start it it would crank but it wouldnt start, and as i pressed the gas pedal and tried to start it i heard something pop in the exaust my friend said that i flooded my truck so we had to tow it back to my house and then later on that night i tried to start it again but it wouldnt start and for the past 5 days i have been trying to start it but it wont start wvwrything in my truck electical works but my truck wont start. I have no idea what to do and right now moneys kind of an issue so i really dont have that much to spend. I have no idea what to do. I could really use yalls help and it would really be greatly appretiated
LpStreetKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LpStreetKing View Post
Yes i am kind of having the same problem with my truck also. Saturday i was at a light and i had my stereo cranked up and when the light turned green i gunned it. Well right as i did that my truck died on me so i pulled over and popped the hood. My friends dad hooked up some sort of wire where there is a interchangable fuse in it. I fried the fuse and replaced it with a new one, and then as i tried to start it it would crank but it wouldnt start, and as i pressed the gas pedal and tried to start it i heard something pop in the exaust my friend said that i flooded my truck so we had to tow it back to my house and then later on that night i tried to start it again but it wouldnt start and for the past 5 days i have been trying to start it but it wont start wvwrything in my truck electical works but my truck wont start. I have no idea what to do and right now moneys kind of an issue so i really dont have that much to spend. I have no idea what to do. I could really use yalls help and it would really be greatly appretiated

I'm not sure but isnt there a fusible link somewhere that you may have popped? maybe just run a temp jumper wire from battery and see if that works.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 03-08-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:57 AM   #7
LpStreetKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
I'm not sure but isnt there a fusible line somewhere that you may have popped? maybe just run a temp jumper wire from battery and see if that works.
Im sorry sir but i have no idea what that is lol
Old 03-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Cables MAY look great, but replace them and then question the cranking power, if it does not improve.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
LpStreetKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Cables MAY look great, but replace them and then question the cranking power, if it does not improve.
yes sir a week ago my friends dad did that he relaced all the wiring
Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I had the same problem. Ended up being my starter. But not before it melted the positive post right out of my new battery.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
lt1bbody

I had a problem that was similar. It was the post on the solenoid. Somehow it got loose. I tightened it up and no problems.
lt1bbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
LpStreetKing

but see wouldnt it have happened like right away if there was a problem?

I mean it happened so far down the road my truck was running perfect and then this happens how is that possible?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
spr85gmc

i guess im not the only one witht his problem my truck has done it like 5 time just decides it wont start 3 times had to get it towed ..........
spr85gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #14
lurch115

wow! and here i thought this was a once in a while problem....had a positive battery cable on a caprice with bad motor mounts that the exhaust manifold burned through the casing and the cable over time corroded....i wish i still had that cable to take a pic of it and post it....it was almost 2 inches in diameter from all the corrosion

oh and another thing to think about is the ignition switch that is under the dash on top of the steering column they will do the samething also

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L

Last edited by lurch115; 03-13-2008 at 08:17 AM.
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
spr85gmc

i had thi rpoblem since about mid december about 1 every 6 weeks more or less i swear it something electrical but went as far as changing out my distributor. if any one finds out what up with our truck please share hmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe they just getting old
spr85gmc is offline   Reply With Quote